Cold Start Tuning Help

General Tuning Questions And Discussions
muttley383
cars: VR 383 stroker

Re: Cold Start Tuning Help

Post by muttley383 »

V8hilux wrote:My new wideband reads about .5 AF different to the tuner pro too. (my fix was to hold the innovate at 14.7 and while watching the wideband in tunerpro, adjusted the scalers wideband settings till they both read the same at 14.7). Went from 22.4 in scaler to something like 22 or something

This is probably wrong way to do it but someone else might know.
My TP dash and monitor show the same AFR as my innovate gauge.
What I am concerned about is the supposed offset between the narrowband sensor that is supposed to switch from rich/lean at 14.6:1 but my innovate wideband averages approximatley 0.5:1 below this. I can only assume that the wideband is in error as the narrowband sensors are supposed to switch at this point. I made sure I calibrated the heater and carried out the fresh air setup as per instructions in the innovate documentation. The output of the wideband is set up as per the TP gauge parameters, I can adjust the scaling in TP but it should not need it if it is set ok.
vn5000 wrote:Should be ok then,just seems to take a while to warm up compared to std.
Not sure what the prob is then ,to be running ve of 40 and get 11:1 at idle in one log then running ve 20 and get 13:1 in the next doesnt add up.Are you sure you are hitting update when you are emulating .Have you verified whats on the nvram with what the bin should be.
I checked and made sure I was updating the files correctly. I carried out a download from ECU to TP and compared files with the only differences being the knock recording logs.
V8hilux
cars: v8 Hilux 4x4 383 turbocharged with th700 auto.

Post by V8hilux »

so the tunerpro dash wideband reads the same as the wideband in the car but the narrowband in the tunerpro dash does not read the same as the wideband?

Which one would you believe to be correct ? the narrowband is probably more accurate at stoich than the wideband. don't know.

I am still trying to figure out why my wideband reads different than the tunerpro gauge when the settings in scalers are set to what the innovate instructions say??? I changed the scaler a bit but then that puts it all out of whack. I wonder how important it is to have the car at exactly stoich or exactly 12.5 or whatever at different loads. would half an AF out really matter in the tune anyway?? The AF ratio's we aim for in the AF ratio table where do those numbers come from ? we know stoich burns most efficient but how can someone tell what the AF ratio's should be within the Whole AF table. we have anything from 11 AF to 14.7 why. would half a point out even matter?
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

You need to tell us which scaler. Scaler means a number - Every setting that is a number is known as a scaler, then some are flags (on/off) and tables. What is the name of the scalar that you are changing?
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
V8hilux

Post by V8hilux »

antus wrote:You need to tell us which scaler. Scaler means a number - Every setting that is a number is known as a scaler, then some are flags (on/off) and tables. What is the name of the scalar that you are changing?
was you talking to me or mutley?
V8hilux

Post by V8hilux »

I changed the ve learn params scalers wideband 0 volt one and the 5 volt one.

Then sinse i have the simulated narrowband i changed the settings in scalers from 0.6 rich 0.3 lean to 1.1v and 0.1 v to mnatch the output of my innovate narrowband simulation output
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Post by VL400 »

Its best to leave the narrowband settings alone, they define the switch points and you need to exceed those values in each direction. Standard settings are fine as a starting point and do not need to match the innovate - only the wideband settings need to match.
muttley383

Post by muttley383 »

V8hilux wrote:so the tunerpro dash wideband reads the same as the wideband in the car but the narrowband in the tunerpro dash does not read the same as the wideband?

Which one would you believe to be correct ? the narrowband is probably more accurate at stoich than the wideband. don't know.

I am still trying to figure out why my wideband reads different than the tunerpro gauge when the settings in scalers are set to what the innovate instructions say??? I changed the scaler a bit but then that puts it all out of whack. I wonder how important it is to have the car at exactly stoich or exactly 12.5 or whatever at different loads. would half an AF out really matter in the tune anyway?? The AF ratio's we aim for in the AF ratio table where do those numbers come from ? we know stoich burns most efficient but how can someone tell what the AF ratio's should be within the Whole AF table. we have anything from 11 AF to 14.7 why. would half a point out even matter?
Yeah, my wideband gauge is pretty close to TP wideband gauge. I checked it by stopping the engine but still with the TP dash screen running, this stops the small AFR swings as the wideband is only reading what is left in the exhaust pipe. Over time if you leave it on it will slowly rise as O2 is increases in the exhaust.

I am contemplating rescaling the innovate wideband output to match the swing of the narrowband which is supposed to be around 14.6-14.7:1. I can only assume that the narrowband sensor will be more accurate around this area.
V8hilux

Post by V8hilux »

thats a good idea about turning the motor off, I might try that and see what he difference is with the proper settings.
it was kind of hard to tell while they were constantly changing.

I wonder if I'm better off to do the wideband log for adjusting ve's then correct the ve table according to the tunerpro wideband log... then try to figure out the % difference between the normal wideband screen to the tunerpro wideband and just change the whole ve table by the same % that the gauges read different... would this work better than trying to change the scalers to funny numbers to try to get them reading the same?
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Post by VL400 »

The narrowband should be more accurate for showing stoich as it basically swirches either side. Here is my narrowband and wideband during closed loop...
Closed_Loop.jpg
Closed_Loop.jpg (36.77 KiB) Viewed 5392 times

v8hilux: your better off getting the wideband to read correctly than trying to fudge it. Or tune off the wideband display and not TP display.
muttley383

Post by muttley383 »

Well this wideband O2 sensor issue has me confused.

I adjusted both of the LC1 analog channels to 0v=7.95 and 5v=22.99. This essentially should have lifted the whole wideband curve by approx 0.6:1 afr.
To my suprise, when I took it for a run the closed loop was still approximatley 0.6-0.7:1 low on the wideband whilst the narrowband sensor was switching from rich/lean.

I rechecked the setup parameters of the innovate LC1 after the run and the parameters were still as I set them. Checking the TP wideband gauge with my gauge and they roughly agree with each other. Since I did not make any adjustements in TP this should not be the case.
I want to fix the wideband issue up before I finalise the cold start issues as I am not sure if this confusing my adjustments.