Software On ELM Street - OBD2 Software Development

Programs / Tools / Scripts
beerman
cars: 1997 Camaro

2004 FLHRCI

2006 GTO

Re: Software On ELM Street - OBD2 Software Development

Post by beerman »

Odd wouldn't the correct seed key algo be needed to unlock the E38 to ensure that the correct bootloader/ bin were uploaded into the ecu FWIW I calculated A802 as the key for an E38 0000 seed
Tazzi
cars: VE SS Ute

Post by Tazzi »

beerman wrote:Odd wouldn't the correct seed key algo be needed to unlock the E38 to ensure that the correct bootloader/ bin were uploaded into the ecu FWIW I calculated A802 as the key for an E38 0000 seed
Technically, based on the CAN technical documents. ALL electronic control modules MUST NOT have a seed of 0000. So, either that has been manually set by someone, or all new ECU's come with it set to 0000?

On the new VE clusters, when requesting seed, it sends back 0000 as well until it is TIS programmed :thumbup:
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726
VX L67 Getrag

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

There's only been 1 controller I've seen with seed 0000 & the key was also 0000 in that particular 1!

IMHO I believe it has been hacked & someone was read/writing & scrambled it, would be cool to be able to do as that whole area needs special sequences to read/write!

With that PCM in mention it will only read/write with 1 software, all others say boot loader issue!
There's 1 other software but it's write procedure hasn't been coded!
VECalais-V
cars: 2005 VZ SV8 43k Around 300Kw My toy since new.
2007 VE Calais-V The wife's shopping car!

Post by VECalais-V »

First of all hello to all on this forum (and sorry about the post being a bit long).
Since 2008 I have been beevering away working on the tune for my VZ SV8 ( 5.7l LS1 2005) using an EFILIVE. Results to date 12.8 1/4 mile and 1000km range out of tank of fuel (not at the same time). Lean cruise may not be leagal but done right it can be fuel economy magic.
But time moves on and family needs insist that my toy is to be sold and I inherit the wife's VE calais-v 6l, hence the interest in the ELM project, so well presented here. (BTW she wants a mazda 3 to replace the calais - who have I been married to for 35 years?)
But really I am quite handy with Arduinos so the plan is to improve on the range, fuel economy gauge etc using the OBD port and display the result on a 5 or 7 inch TFT(LCD) touch screen, run by an Arduino. Problem is I can only find the standard SAE OBD codes, EFILIVE encrypts its PID codes.
My question is, does any one have a list of extended codes specificly for a VE or do I have to log one PID at at time and pick the log file apart.
To those of you who might know, do you think this would work?
If it does work and I produce a useful list, can I, should I, Publish it here?
Anyway Hello again, cheers Steve.
Tazzi

Post by Tazzi »

VECalais-V wrote:First of all hello to all on this forum (and sorry about the post being a bit long).
Since 2008 I have been beevering away working on the tune for my VZ SV8 ( 5.7l LS1 2005) using an EFILIVE. Results to date 12.8 1/4 mile and 1000km range out of tank of fuel (not at the same time). Lean cruise may not be leagal but done right it can be fuel economy magic.
But time moves on and family needs insist that my toy is to be sold and I inherit the wife's VE calais-v 6l, hence the interest in the ELM project, so well presented here. (BTW she wants a mazda 3 to replace the calais - who have I been married to for 35 years?)
But really I am quite handy with Arduinos so the plan is to improve on the range, fuel economy gauge etc using the OBD port and display the result on a 5 or 7 inch TFT(LCD) touch screen, run by an Arduino. Problem is I can only find the standard SAE OBD codes, EFILIVE encrypts its PID codes.
My question is, does any one have a list of extended codes specificly for a VE or do I have to log one PID at at time and pick the log file apart.
To those of you who might know, do you think this would work?
If it does work and I produce a useful list, can I, should I, Publish it here?
Anyway Hello again, cheers Steve.
Sounds like a fun project! Soo first up, how do you plan on interfacing the arduino with the CAN protocol? Guessing a CAN shield? Or are you going to try interface with an ELM cable directly on the serial line?

I few (maybe a fair few) pages back, Iv deciphered almost all of the enhanced PID's including their calculations by reverse engineering a tech2.

Working out the PID's from Efilvie isnt as easy as you think, since efilvie will read multiple PID's at once. I dont think you can specifically request only one PID? And even then you will need a way or reverse engineering the "calc" for that PID to product useful data. Generally its hard to do without actually emulating the data back to the tech2/efilive to reverse engineer the output!

Using an arduino with a CAN shield.. you might be able to do it though!

The PID's you work out.. are not "efilives" work, they are parameters already stored in the ECU.. they have simply worked out what the PID's mean through other means! Its completely up to you what you want to post up!
Tre-Cool
cars: VY SS UTE, VX Drag Car

Post by Tre-Cool »

cracked another locked e38 ecu thanks to your program tazzi. it's about the 3rd active automotive one I have done now.

even the hpt tuner lock doesn't prevent me from seeing the shit they have in the tunes before I wipe them and put them back to standard.

I found that if I use my Bluetooth obdlink mx it loses connection after a few hours. so I use my usb elm cable. took about 48hrs and ended up with 3CBA.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

Tre-Cool wrote:even the hpt tuner lock doesn't prevent me from seeing the shit they have in the tunes before I wipe them and put them back to standard.
hehehehe :)
Tazzi

Post by Tazzi »

Tre-Cool wrote:cracked another locked e38 ecu thanks to your program tazzi. it's about the 3rd active automotive one I have done now.

even the hpt tuner lock doesn't prevent me from seeing the shit they have in the tunes before I wipe them and put them back to standard.

I found that if I use my Bluetooth obdlink mx it loses connection after a few hours. so I use my usb elm cable. took about 48hrs and ended up with 3CBA.
Nice! :thumbup:
No tune is safe! haha.

So you have been using the Bluetooth OBDLink MX? Interesting, does it get any errors on normal connection?
Im yet to purchase a bluetooth version. Currently tossing up between getting an AVT 852 or a bluetooth MX.

I believe the bluetooth MX may need special like the WIFI version as they might go into "sleep" mode, or lose connection if no chatter is detected after 10ish seconds. So Im surprised you kept it going for a few hours if thats the case!
Will be interested in yourself testing out the new VE features if you have a VE at your disposal! Will allow you to read faults from all the modules in the car including IPC, Radio, HVAC, SIC ect.

On another note, Iv got alot of work to do on the engine data reading. Iv found a fix for the control moving and preventing it from going outside of the boundaries. As well as some other error catching applied to prevent any "unknown Errors" from popping up but not actually ending the engine reading properly.
Iv now successfully had SOE logging away in a VE SS sedan, VE V6 sedan, VZ SS, VZ V6 and a VX LS1 without any issues!. Apart from the dicky gauge movements, it worked well! :D

Oh I used a bluetooth ELM.. and now hate them more then ever. It would randomly send back "Error", which could cause SOE to error out. :thumbdown: Special attention needed for those buggers, since they dont accept the baud updating.

Annnd finally, Iv got only a few hundred more faults to enter (Yes.. that many..) until the VE module faults is 100% sorted!. :thumbup:
Tre-Cool
cars: VY SS UTE, VX Drag Car

Post by Tre-Cool »

Im happy to test anything. I also have a cruze with the e83 ecu which has similar pids to the e38.

if you can also work out how to do the brake pedal calibration on the bcm's that would be great. haha

As for the Bluetooth mx I think it is the sleep mode kicking it. it would be good for a few hours and then the program would essentially freeze.
gold73

Post by gold73 »

I always thought copper carried more electrikery than air......