Software On ELM Street - OBD2 Software Development

Programs / Tools / Scripts
Tazzi
cars: VE SS Ute

Re: ELM327 Software Development

Post by Tazzi »

Alright, I cant think of much more needed to be fixed/added or updated... any suggestions?

Only thing that needs to be tested more rigorously is the "Freeze Frame" on both VZ V6 and LS1 vehicles. Theres still seems to be problems there because I cannot make the bench setup ecus lodge different test examples!
Also since there is not too much to do.. I am going to try moving onto the VE V6 ecu that I now have :thumbup:

Iv had a tonne of requests to get the "Clear Faults" function working. Well, I cant get something working if my ecus dont have any faults lodged! I have to redo the logging process and trick the scantool into thinking there are faults.

Other than that Iv only got a few more features that I would like to apply. But is there things anyone want to see? things they want to get rid of? Suggestions anyone?
My plans so far are to:
-Add proper freeze frame section and display all relevant data
-Add in logging graphs 2d/3d and bar graphs
-Finish logging save/load/replay functions
-Apply seed/key algos for untuned ecus?
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726
Tazzi

Re: Software On ELM Street - OBD2 Software Development

Post by Tazzi »

Did a full reconstruct of the vertical tabs... had to write the little buggers from scratch since the old ones were causing soooo much flickering!
Added in little icons as well. Im not very happy with them at the moment.. but will do till I source out some others. :thumbup:

If anyone has suggestions to what the icons should be for each category.. shout out the idea!
NewTabsSOE.PNG
NewTabsSOE.PNG (67.58 KiB) Viewed 4159 times
Tazzi

Post by Tazzi »

Got to play with a VZ commodore today. Found a few interesting issues which I was unaware of!

1) The "auto detect" was a little weird and didnt work the first time around. (But, I plugged in the tool AFTER starting the software.. so I believe the COM had not updated into the application yet.)

2) The "Fast Baud 115200" definitely did not work while plugged into the car.. but it works on the bench setup (again Im not sure why!?!)

3) The initial vehicle information requesting of VIN and Serial and faults caused a small error to pop up on screen for a split second. I believe this must be because I disable the car chatter for a split second at one point.. I will need to remove! Unnecessary precaution to have in there!

On a good note, the "Freeze Frame" counter worked! Had two freeze frames lodged and successfully picked them up. And the fault reader worked a treat too! :thumbup:

So now...why would the ELM behave so differently in car to on the bench setup? There is a grounding, 12+v supply and the CAN lines connected on both systems yet only my bench setup accepts the update!
Whereas the in-car experience just had the setup hanging saying "enabling fast baud" or something similar.
Can anyone think of a reason why? The ELM works with enabling the fast baud also when connected to the laptop and not the car as well... so its only when in car! Very weird!

Iv read from everyones posts as well as some feedback that this issue has occured a few times. Just unsure what was exactly happening.. unfortunately I didnt have long enough to step through the process and see what the ELM replies during the process... since we were trying to diagnose why the engine was fluttering at ~2000rpm, turns out it was a dodgey sparkplug!

Can anyone that has issues with enabling the fast baud while in car please just comment in the thread so I have a count of who can test stuff? My next version will have a very detailed fault catching system to display all steps going on while trying to enable the fast baud :thumbup:
I really do feel the fastest baud rate *needs* to be used to maximise effectiveness of the application since the communication for data logging is extremely quick!
Charlescrown
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Post by Charlescrown »

Great work Tazzi. hey is your clock wrong it's not 2AM.
Tazzi

Post by Tazzi »

Charlescrown wrote:Great work Tazzi. hey is your clock wrong it's not 2AM.
2am is where all the best work gets done :lol:

*Post count 666... maybe 2am isnt the best time??
Tazzi

Post by Tazzi »

Well Iv got NO clue why the ELM cable behaves so weird during connection in car. I will try work that out on my mates car in the coming weeks.

I think it is something to do with sending "ATD" which sets the elm into default specs. I think I will try removing that entirely and giving it another shot.

Apart form that. Iv started reverse engineering the VE V6 controllers. Should hopefuly be able to add those to the compatibility list.
Tazzi

Post by Tazzi »

Removed the "Reset to Defaults" and seems to work better in car.
The auto increase to 115200baud two a couple shots... still dont understand why! Ill have to google if it is a common issue since didnt have time to step though it again.

If anyone with a VZ can test out the "Connect" with auto comport and auto baud enabled on the Next version I put up. That would be greatly appreciated. I will try put some more process text so it will show up in the console log if anything does fail.
Tazzi

Post by Tazzi »

Iv also found out... the elm supports up to 500,000baud! Thats pretty quick!

Soooo after ALOT of research... Iv found that there has been alot of instances where a software baud rate change (Like I do) does not work when connected to the vehicle. It seems to only work when unplugged from the car and only plugged into the laptop.

Now, a software baud change also only works on newer ELM cables. So, I believe, I will need to have a Message box saying to unplug the cable from vehicle (while it does the BAUD rate update). Then plug it back in once the baud rate has successfully updated.

Im also adding in (Finally) clearing the Fault codes!

I will definately need testers on that! Just to see if all fault codes clear (including current.. even for a moment?) and if the history clear as well. Since it can be a quick way to identify which fault is actually causing havoc in the car.
Tazzi

Post by Tazzi »

New version up! v0.0.0.8 4/2/2015
Please see main thread for changelog.
Tazzi

Post by Tazzi »

New version up! v0.0.0.9 8/2/2015
Please see main thread for changelog.

Next on the to-do list is to:
-Add in other LS1 PIDs (still havent got round to that!! should be another 20+ to add)
-Begin adding ability to record and replay logs