VS MAF sensor failure

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
vsslpr
cars: VS s1

VS MAF sensor failure

Post by vsslpr »

Hi all,

I have a question I've started logging in tp5 and I am getting error codes 32, 23 and 16

32 is maf sensor failure- my question is how can the engine run without knowing the air flow rate into each cylinder (due to maf failure)?

Car is a vs v6 auto ckul bin

Cheers
The1

Re: VS MAF sensor failure

Post by The1 »

there is a failover table it reads in the bin, wont be accurate but will run the engine till you replace the sensor.
vsslpr

Post by vsslpr »

cheers for the info.

Where is the failover table in the bin? im very interested to see how it approximates/calcs incoming air. also could the IAT signal high error (dtc 23) be related to the maf?

thanks for the input!
vsslpr

Post by vsslpr »

strangely i dont get an engine light appearing on my dash? it only appears in tunerpro
The1

Post by The1 »

some MALF codes dont set the engine light.

The table is in the xdf MALF32 MODE - Default Airflow Vs RPM & TPS %

So it just uses RPM and TPS to set a default flow rate.
VX L67 Getrag

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

I haven't got a wiring diagram handy but as the 2 are taped in the same wiring section it could be a common earth or power supply/wiring issue you may want to check before just purchasing parts!
vsslpr

Post by vsslpr »

yep ill have to do some investigating into the wiring I think I suspect it may be a wiring issue (occasionally the engine struggles to start)- if it is a common earth problem does it make sense that the IAT would get a high signal error?

The1- I've looked at the default airflow table.. what happens outside the RPM and temp range? my car has been drinking a lot of fuel for a while so this is probably the reason why..
Torker

Post by Torker »

This error code (32) Related to the air flow sensor keeps coming back. I have replaced the sensor twice does anyone have an idea where else i should be looking.
The1

Post by The1 »

DTC 32:
MASS AIR FLOW (MAF) OUT OF RANGE

The Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor measures the flow of air which passes through it in a given time. The PCM uses this information to monitor the operating condition of the engine for fuel delivery calculations. A large quantity of air movement indicates acceleration, while a small quantity indicates deceleration or idle.
The MAF sensor produces a frequency signal which cannot be easily measured.
The MAF sensor can be diagnosed using the procedures on this chart.
With DTC 32 set, the PCM will use a default value for air flow based on throttle position, and engine speed and some vehicle performance will return. When DTC 32 is set the MIL "Check Powertrain Lamp" will be illuminated.

Test Description: Number(s) below refer to step(s) on the diagnostic chart.

2. DTC 32 will set if:
Engine running.
No MAF signal for over 2 seconds.
5. Verifies that both ignition feed voltage and a good earth circuit are available.
6. This step checks to see if PCM recognises a problem.
7. A voltage reading at sensor harness connector terminal "A" of less than 4 or over 6 volts indicates a fault in circuit 792 or poor connection.