Camira delco suit ford cfi?

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
Nemesis
cars: td gemini

Camira delco suit ford cfi?

Post by Nemesis »

Currently in the planning stages of my new engine and was wondering if anyone had any experience with the Ford EA Falcon cfi throttlebodies.

Engine is to be a an Isuzu G161Z with Offenhauser manifold and Ford cfi throttlebody, intercooled Toyota sc14 blower running 8-10 psi

I know the 1800 Camira's used throttle body injection but not sure how many injectors, the Ford unit runs 2.
Charlescrown
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Re: Camira delco suit ford cfi?

Post by Charlescrown »

Sounds like a weird combination. Why do you want to stick with throttle body? I would look at a multipoint setup from a Rodeo and fit it up with a Delco system but if your sticking to throttle body the ford setup was a lame duck. the Idle speed control was hopeless to say the least maybe a setup from a Mitsu Starion might be an option. They can be setup with Delco by retaining the dropping resistor setup for the injectors and they flow heaps.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

I agree. A rodeo manifold would be a good option. The rodeo TPS is switch type, not analog, but you can swap a nissan auto TPS on (the one with the extra pigtail of wire handing off, which provides the analog signal the delco needs). They are also found on RB30 engines in automatic VLs. Im not sure what they have for idle air control, though.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Nemesis

Post by Nemesis »

Reason for my selection of components is quite simple, I want to keep the theme of the vehicles original heritage, have it look like an old school setup, and eliminate the need for adaptor plates.

Sure I could bolt on a rodeo manifold, but then it'll look like a gemini engine with a rodeo manifold, plus the rodeo manifold is somewhat messy to look at, and it's really not what I'm going for.

The offenhauser manifold is a bolt on, looks exactly like the factory item but flows much better and is designed to use a ford style webber in place of the standard nikki carb with no adaptor plates, the ford cfi throtlebody uses the same mountings as the webber.

I know of only one person who has used the same unit tho with a standard manifold and redline adaptor on a gemini engine from the ozgemini forums. However WFC (as he was known) built the setup, then went overseas for work before he could release it as a kit and was never heard from again, this is the same guy who used to build the megasquirt turnkey packages for a lot of the australian forums.

The same throttlebody has been used multiple times on other projects so I know it'll do the job I want it to, just want to know if there's any chance I can do it on the cheap with the delco or if I should look into other ecu options.

I tend not to do things the same as everyone else, I like to be different.
antus
Site Admin
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute

Post by antus »

Hehe, well yes the delco will be able to run it.. im fairly sure the JD camira TBI setup runs 2 low impedance injectors (though it could be one).
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Jayme

Post by Jayme »

yah its one on the camira... ive got a camira tbi sitting here. running two might be real close the the bleeding edge!
Nemesis

Post by Nemesis »

can the cfi delco be modified to run 2 injectors?
antus
Site Admin
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute

Post by antus »

It will do it. The problem is heat - it'll run hotter and if it runs too hot you you'll have problems (probably on a 40 degree day after the car has been parked in the sun for a few hours) and then you could damage/destroy the ecu. It will run up to 8 high impedance injectors, but low impedance requires significantly more current. Considering delcos are cheap, you could probably afford to call one a sacrificial test ecu and see how it goes.
Circlotron
cars: VP 5L LPG

Post by Circlotron »

If you're going to use TBI be prepared to have cyl to cyl mixture variation all over the joint, probably no better than a single barrel carby setup. You may need to preheat the incoming air to improve things slightly.

Car manufacturers are major tight arses when it comes to spending an extra cent if they can possibly avoid it. TBI is a way of saving money but the fact that no manufacturer uses it nowadays must tell you something. Still, it sounds like a fun project.
Dazza92VP
cars: 92 VP V8 Wagon

Post by Dazza92VP »

If idle quality is bad with the ford throttle body you can always build an IAC block from a commodore. Just mount it and plumb it in under the manifold then just run a hose from the IAC block inlet side to just before the throttle body and it would look like a vac or breather line and sort out the idle quality as well