Camira delco suit ford cfi?

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
Nemesis
cars: td gemini

Re: Camira delco suit ford cfi?

Post by Nemesis »

antus wrote:It will do it. The problem is heat - it'll run hotter and if it runs too hot you you'll have problems (probably on a 40 degree day after the car has been parked in the sun for a few hours) and then you could damage/destroy the ecu. It will run up to 8 high impedance injectors, but low impedance requires significantly more current. Considering delcos are cheap, you could probably afford to call one a sacrificial test ecu and see how it goes.
Yeah that's something I had considered, I'm unable to find any specs on the injectors used on these engines except that they are big in both flow and physical size, tho I have pondered with the idea of having injector bosses made that fit in place of the original injectors which will allow more suitable injectors to be used.
Circlotron wrote:If you're going to use TBI be prepared to have cyl to cyl mixture variation all over the joint, probably no better than a single barrel carby setup. You may need to preheat the incoming air to improve things slightly.

Car manufacturers are major tight arses when it comes to spending an extra cent if they can possibly avoid it. TBI is a way of saving money but the fact that no manufacturer uses it nowadays must tell you something. Still, it sounds like a fun project.
If that were the case then wouldn't it be the same as using a 38/38DGS Weber? after all the cfi unit is essentially the same with fuel delivery handed over to a computer. Out of all the cases I have been able to find of people deciding to use these units in place of their carb the general consensus has been "not as good as mpi, but still better than a weber".
Being that the weber has been used again and again in blow through systems since the late 80's (maybe earlier, I'm too young to remember) I can't see how it could be so bad.
Dazza92VP wrote:If idle quality is bad with the ford throttle body you can always build an IAC block from a commodore. Just mount it and plumb it in under the manifold then just run a hose from the IAC block inlet side to just before the throttle body and it would look like a vac or breather line and sort out the idle quality as well
That's actually a really good idea, I'll add a note to my scribbles to remind me later should idle problems arise :)
Charlescrown
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Post by Charlescrown »

You can easily run 2 injectors after all the std Camira has 4. I would try to match impedance with large resistors to eliminate the possibility of destroying your ECU. I know you can use high impedance injectors in a system that normally runs low impedance one's. Mazda also used TBI on some early Ford (same thing) Telstar's but they a low impedance less than 1 ohm.. I suppose the Ford closley resembles a carbie if thats what your looking for.
Nemesis

Post by Nemesis »

yeah the 1600 camira's used 4 injectors but the cfi injected 1800 camira's used 1 apparently, also I found out that the throttlebody has an internal fuel regulator which is set to only 14psi, however it looks to be a spring diaphram type so it can probably be raised if needed by finding and fitting a stronger spring.
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Post by VL400 »

The '808 can handle one low impedance injector in peak and hold mode, running more than one is either going to blow the driver if it keeps on going over current or not saturate the injectors if the peak and hold driver clamps the current fast enough. Normally the ECU would alternate between injectors on a dual inj TBI setup, the '808 cant do that :thumbdown:

You need to change some wiring compared to a VN/VP for peak and hold mode. For high impedance mode pin D9 is not normally used, pin D3 and D10 go to earth. But in TBI mode D9 and D10 are looped, pin D3 is then not used.
Circlotron
cars: VP 5L LPG

Post by Circlotron »

Circlotron wrote:If you're going to use TBI be prepared to have cyl to cyl mixture variation all over the joint, probably no better than a single barrel carby setup.
Nemesis wrote: If that were the case then wouldn't it be the same as using a 38/38DGS Weber? after all the cfi unit is essentially the same with fuel delivery handed over to a computer. Out of all the cases I have been able to find of people deciding to use these units in place of their carb the general consensus has been "not as good as mpi, but still better than a weber".
Being that the weber has been used again and again in blow through systems since the late 80's (maybe earlier, I'm too young to remember) I can't see how it could be so bad.
If you put the TBI on a carburettor manifold in place of an existing carb you should get better results than before. If you put it on a manifold designed to distribute dry air e.g. port injection manifold then the wet spray flowing through it may not behave the way you want under all conditions.

Nothing wrong with the TBI per se, the manifold that is downstream from it is what can mess things up.
Charlescrown
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Post by Charlescrown »

Unless you use the Mazda or Mitsu setup designed for a turbo your going to have issues with fuel pressure under boost. The Ford only runs 15 PSI all the time where the Mitsu runs 30 and increases with boost. Don't know what the Mazda does but would be similar. Gunna be fun trying to map and set the VE tables otherwise.
vs ss
cars: hsv enhanced vs ss
vt xu6
fb holden
toyota landcruiser
vt ss s1

Post by vs ss »

You could always take the spring out of the built in one so it does nothing for regulating and fit an external rising rate reg somewhere else.
But i dont know how much fuel pressure the injectors can take before they wont open.
Nemesis

Post by Nemesis »

VL400 wrote:The '808 can handle one low impedance injector in peak and hold mode, running more than one is either going to blow the driver if it keeps on going over current or not saturate the injectors if the peak and hold driver clamps the current fast enough. Normally the ECU would alternate between injectors on a dual inj TBI setup, the '808 cant do that :thumbdown:

You need to change some wiring compared to a VN/VP for peak and hold mode. For high impedance mode pin D9 is not normally used, pin D3 and D10 go to earth. But in TBI mode D9 and D10 are looped, pin D3 is then not used.
Ah so this basically answers my question, I'm probably better off looking at a megasquirt or maybe even an older ecu that can handle multiple injector tbi systems.
Circlotron wrote:If you put the TBI on a carburettor manifold in place of an existing carb you should get better results than before.
Yeah that's exactly what I'm doing.
Charlescrown wrote:Unless you use the Mazda or Mitsu setup designed for a turbo your going to have issues with fuel pressure under boost. The Ford only runs 15 PSI all the time where the Mitsu runs 30 and increases with boost. Don't know what the Mazda does but would be similar. Gunna be fun trying to map and set the VE tables otherwise.
I'm not even remotely interested in using anything other than a webber or the Ford unit, remember the whole point of using it is to eliminate adaptor plates and emulate a factory fitment, and the ford tbi unit has been used in boost applications before. as I said I have done the research on the throttlebody itself, I just need to find a suitable ecu to do the job.

It's nothing that hasn't been done before.
vs ss wrote:You could always take the spring out of the built in one so it does nothing for regulating and fit an external rising rate reg somewhere else.
But i dont know how much fuel pressure the injectors can take before they wont open.
Yeah I was thinking that I could remove the spring and diaphragm and just run an external reg, or fitting a stronger spring or maybe even perhaps stretching the original to put more pressure on the diaphragm. Not the most refined way of doing it but the engine will be supercharged not turbo so the boos pressure will be constant not rising like a turbo, so as long as I can set it to provide enough positive fuel pressure it might be ok :lol:
vs ss
cars: hsv enhanced vs ss
vt xu6
fb holden
toyota landcruiser
vt ss s1

Post by vs ss »

haha but if you remove the diaphragm just remember to block off the vacuum port or the return fuel will end up down its throat :thumbup:
Dazza92VP
cars: 92 VP V8 Wagon

Post by Dazza92VP »

at idle the the charger compressor bypass will be active causing no boost which means your going to be in the 0-100kpa range and if the injectors are a large type you may not be able to get the ve map down far enough to get low kpa fueling right which means you'll be flooding it your better off running an external type reg