Very easy to stall engine - Manual

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
SirGollum
cars: Nissan GQ Patrol with Holden 304

Very easy to stall engine - Manual

Post by SirGollum »

Hi Guys,

My manual 304 with 808 is 'very' easy to stall, its a little better with the AC on, but is there anyway to improve the 'torque' at idle, as this is a 4x4 the engine is in, I would love to be able to pretty much let the clutch out at idle and have the engine cope....or is this just a limitation of the engine ?

I should say that once the clutch is out the IAV seems to open and give the engine enough herbs to let the car idle around, but any sharp bumps or clutch movements always stall the engine before the IAV can catch up.

Thanks again!!
Jayme

Re: Very easy to stall engine - Manual

Post by Jayme »

how many IAC steps at idle? I find that (in $12P) setting the stall saver RPM to about 100 rpm below where it idles, then playing with the stall saver steps increase until it feels good, seems to make it a lot harder to stall. it basically adds the step increase (eg 20 steps) immediately when the rpm drops below your stall saver rpm threshold.
SirGollum

Post by SirGollum »

Hi, thanks for your reply.

Ive got about 40 steps at idle, I will have a play with the stall saver and see if that helps.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

is the engine stock? injectors stock?
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
SirGollum

Post by SirGollum »

Hi Antus,

The engine is isnt stock, but its not exactly wild...

Stage 2 cam, VT injectors...
antus
Site Admin
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute

Post by antus »

Can you post up a log of it idling and when you hit the throttle and it stumbles? Do you have a wideband installed?
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
SirGollum

Post by SirGollum »

Hi Antus,

I will do that asap, but I would say the engine doesn't stumble, its just easy to stall...I would have thought a 304 would have had tons of torque down low...but that might be my misconception. I've never driven a 304 in its natural habitat, so im not sure what a manual commodore is like to drive...

oh, yes I do have a wideband installed.
antus
Site Admin
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute

Post by antus »

Yeah, i havnt driven one either, only 4s and 6s and ls1/ls2. But I wouldnt expect it to stall easy. All the delcos use spark to control the idle and run way less spark than they can at idle so when you start moving they will increase the spark to compensate which should give it enough pull to get moving. And if it drops too low the stall saver should kick in. I'd say there might be something not ideal in your tune, but need the bin and logs to see.
SirGollum

Post by SirGollum »

Hi Antus,

Sorry, Ive been having issues with the laptop, so have got a log yet, but here is the bin file. This is before I removed the stall saver settings this morning, as it was getting annoying. Its not giving me the behavior I imagined, ( increase IAC steps when below 650), and instead seems to only work 'sometimes' when idling, and will keep the IAC steps for a pretty darn long time (15 sec +)

Im sure its something I dont understand...
Attachments
ute-23-03-14.bin
(32 KiB) Downloaded 218 times
The1

Post by The1 »

by VT injectors you mean 0280155777 have you changed the deadtime voltage tables?

Because of the CAM Tip in Bump Spark might need adjusting and have you Tried adjusting idle spark?