vs 5L flooding and won't start

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
kojab
cars: VT V6 supercharged in a corolla

Re: vs 5L flooding and won't start

Post by kojab »

carbysaregood wrote:Thanks for the responses. I bought the VK with the conversion done, running and driving but donor engine had no oil pressure. Engine was built and re fitted and fired up first shot, ran a couple of times then started flooding and hasnt gone since.
It's good to see everyone trying to help here.

I like problem solving too so here goes.

Delco conversions often have many underlying problems that often never get picked up until someone puts a diagnostic scan tool on the offending vehicle. Here is the first obstacle, most Delco conversions don’t have a diagnostic port wired in, as in this case.

1) Could it be possible the flooding engine problem you are having is caused by something Not connected with the new engine or any work you have done installing it but present at the time you took ownership of the VK.

You say above “I bought the VK with the conversion done, running and driving but donor engine had no oil pressure.

Did you see the engine running? How long was it running for? Did you drive this VK with no oil pressure? I would think not. Was it the previous owner who said it was “running and driving “. Could you say without doubt that the old engine did not display the current flooding problem?

2) You say the injectors are standard. What is the part numbers on the injectors. Are you using the same injectors that came with the VK. I am asking this as the previous owner may have used bigger injectors.

3) What is the service number on the ECM/PCM. If the last three number are 808 then it is very possible that you have a faulty computer. Many 808 have intermittent faults. Have you tried changing the computer?

4) Many of the conversions that I see have fuel delivery problems. You could have a restricted return or blocked fuel line. What is your idling /running fuel pressure.

5) Is there any number or letters that appear on the memcal that you could supply? Does this memcal have a knock buffer?

As you can see many questions have to be asked to get as much relevant information before an opinion can be made of what might be causing your flooding issue.

I might have some more questions when you come back.

Cheers
Dick
Jayme

Post by Jayme »

ok so here are the backprobing view of the plugs on a VS auto PCM.
so as you can see, D6 is diagnostic test enable. earth this wire to make flashy codes.
A7 is check engine light control, put this wire on one side of a light (pref not LED, they still glow a bit even when light is off) and the other side of the light to ign power. you should be able to pick up both of these wires at the little body loom interface plug just up the loom a bit from the pcm.

auto diagram 1.PNG
auto diagram 1.PNG (134.98 KiB) Viewed 2325 times
auto diagram 2.PNG
auto diagram 2.PNG (115.72 KiB) Viewed 2325 times
Chuff

Post by Chuff »

Jayme is right. You should have a CEL light connected as an absolute minimum as it will immediately indicate whether a known problem, as anticipated by GM's engineers, even exists.

Irrespective, I cannot think of a single scenario of one or more sensor failures, in any order of events, that would allow such as situation to occur as you have described it, without going into limp home mode, thereby allowing you to limp home, so sensor failure should not be an issue. Theoretically, the engine should run with every sensor disconnected, shouldn't it? So it's either the tune, the netres or the ECU.

Are you sure it a V8 netres?

If it were a V6 or 4 cylinder netres, would we have over-fueling as described?

The answer to these questions may shed some more light on the solution, but as far as I know, the tune cannot get corrupted, and I think vaguely I recall reading somewhere that a V8 will run on a V6 and/or 4 cylinder netres and not produced the results as you described them, but unfortunately, that is the extent of my knowledge. If I am correct and a tune cannot get corrupted, and netres is irrelevant, then the ECU must be at fault.
˙ʎɐqǝ ɟɟo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ǝsǝuıɥɔ ɐ ƃuıʎnq ɹoɟ ʇɥƃıɹ ǝɯ sǝʌɹǝs
carbysaregood
cars: VK commodore wagon

Post by carbysaregood »

Thanks for your replies, i will try to get some answers to your questions tomorrow. The one i can answer is that yes i did hear the engine run and drive the car (on and off trailer and into the shed). Apart from low oil pressure and a but knocky it ran, idled and started perfect. Again thanks for your help, i am not totally across terms like netres but i do understand fubar ecu so might source a replacement.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

one thing i have seen that can cause the sort of issues you are seeing is the coolant temp sensor .... if the wires are shorted together it will read -40 degrees, telling the ecm to richen that baby up !!! saw it first hand in a VS statesman, running perfect then started spluttering black smoke out the back!

turns out the sensor wires come out of the plug, do a hard u-turn and go back towards the motor and this had gotten brittle, cracked the sheath and the wires were intermittantly shorting together, only reason i saw it was datalogging and noticed 80 degrees coolant temp flick to -40 for a few seconds!

when its running and really rich, try unplugging this plug, if it doesn't change the tune at all it could be your cause, if it runs even richer then its probably not that!

oh and for the record you couldn't see this as the sensor black cover was over it!
Thmpar
cars: LH SLR, (gen)long term project.
Vq Stato, manual, becoming single turbo.

Post by Thmpar »

I know this is a bit out there, but are all the earth wires on especially the one from body to engine.