VX L67 with 69mm TB Cold start stalling

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

VX L67 with 69mm TB Cold start stalling

Post by immortality »

Hi Guys,

I have a small issue, since I fitted my 69mm TB (originally fitted on my old VS) onto the VX it's had trouble with it stalling on a cold start. You have to keep the revs up with the throttle or it dies, once it warms up a little it's fine.

I thought maybe it was a stepper motor problem (although it was fine when on the VS) however after removing it (with the intention of fitting the original stepper motor onto the 69mm TB) I have discovered that the standard VX TB stepper motor has a larger diameter pintle and the passages in the TB seem to be a fair bit bigger as well.

I've come to the conclusion that there is probably a difference in the number of steps used (during a cold start) however these items don't seem to be defined in the VX enhanced tune. At this stage all I can see working is to crack the TB blade open a little and see what happens?

Any ideas or suggests appreciated.

Cheers.
Last edited by immortality on Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Re: VX L67 with 69mm TB Cold start stalling

Post by vlad01 »

I noted mace sold VX VY TBs separately to VT and VS ones. this might be the difference I been wondering about.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
The1

Post by The1 »

has it got 30-35 IAC steps at idle at running temperature?
immortality

Post by immortality »

Not sure TBH, I just finished cleaning it all up and putting it back together. Gave it another 1/2 turn on the TB blade stop screw but it still stalled when I started it.

I'll take it for a spin shortly to warm it up and then see where things are at.
immortality

Post by immortality »

OK, I have adjusted the idle. From what I can see, warm idle was (originally) about 30 steps. With the extra 1/2 turn it was idling with about 15 steps. I have now adjusted it to 35-38 steps running temp idle.

Took some measurements while I had it all apart. The VX TB stepper motor entry port is 2mm Diameter bigger (10mm Vs 12mm) than the VS. VX exit is a bigger diameter but is is also oblong rather then a round exit and the stepper pintle is about 2mm bigger in diameter as well.

Probably won't know until tomorrow if it's made any difference.

edit: After checking the log I ran, the idle is coming down to about 33 steps
immortality

Post by immortality »

Well, the verdict is in and it isn't good news. The missus says she still had to give it a bit of gas with the pedal for a bit before it would idle, it's not as bad as before but still not right :(

Problem only occurs when it's started from dead cold, on a warm start the idle is fine straight off the bat.
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

mace throttlebodies suck for tps voltage v's throttle stop screw position and other things more hassle than good LOL
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
immortality

Post by immortality »

delcowizzid wrote:mace throttlebodies suck for tps voltage v's throttle stop screw position and other things more hassle than good LOL
It was never a problem on the VS.

I think the problem is that the VX has a larger orifice for the stepper motor so you would get more flow with less steps. I think if the VS steps Vs coolant temp table was used it would probably sort the issue. Unfortunately these items aren't defined in the VX xdf.
VX L67 Getrag

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

Post a screeny of the tables, scalars etc you think you need & I will try & add them tomorrow!

If you could link to the XDF your using it would be good too, I'm guessing it's probably $BDb but not sure if enhanced!
immortality

Post by immortality »

I'm using the VX L67 enhanced from The1's enhanced thread.

VX_V6_SC_$A5K enhanced_v1.3.xdf
Attachments
IAC Motor park during crank.png
IAC Motor park during crank.png (112.07 KiB) Viewed 5113 times
Last edited by immortality on Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.