vz engine conversion advice

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
patrick591
cars: Vz commodore

vz engine conversion advice

Post by patrick591 »

So I have a vz that I am doing a ls1 conversion on. I need help on what engine loom I can use. I have a vx series 2 loom ecu and bcm can I make this work?. I dont want to run fly by wire so thats not a concern just unsure if my dash, abs module currently in my car will be compatible with the vx loom/ecu. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
VX L67 Getrag

Re: vz engine conversion advice

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

So do you have a 0411 pcm which is needed for the LS1 too?

Apart from that you may need software upgrade depending on fault codes logged but it may work?

others with more experience in the exact area may shed some light.
ejukated

Post by ejukated »

it could work if you use a VY program on the PCM. The main issue is getting the dash to work but seeing as the VY has a similar dash it might just work.
Jayme

Post by Jayme »

its the VY/VZ PIM you need. the tune is no different between vx/vy.
BCM requests a dash packet over aldl to the pim. pim translates data frames from OBD2 from pcm to aldl and sends to dash. the first thing I would try would be to wire up the VX engine loom only into your VZ, then wire up the VZ PIM into the VX engine loom and see if it works. anti theft could be a problem so you may need to turn it off at first. I beleive BCM - PIM - PCM all need to be either matched or be sycned with a tech2 for anti theft to work.
patrick591

Post by patrick591 »

Ok sorry I should have been a bit clearer lol. I have a complete vx ss series 2 in my garage to use for parts towards the conversion. Also im a big tim noob at this stuff I have understood everything except what a 0411 pcm is lol. Also thanks to everyone that replied massive help I can see some light at the end of the tunnel.
Jayme

Post by Jayme »

yep my recommendation stands. leave the VZ body loom and BCM alone. an 0411 pcm is just a VT-VY ls1 pcm. wire in the VX ls1 engine loom and pcm only. go and find a PIM out of a VZ ls1 and wire it in. get someone with a tech2 to link it all up for the anti theft and then see how it goes.
patrick591

Post by patrick591 »

Thanks for the help I do an updated on how things go.
patrick591

Post by patrick591 »

Ok so looking at all the wiring on my alloytec and I don't know what to do about the wires from my v6 pcm. What will be needed to fit the ls1 loom?. Also the vx loom I have has three plugs by the right hand strut tower I know vy vz dont and to make me scratch my head some more the pcm I have says special pcm vu ute only :think:
Skullator
cars: HJ Holden with supercharged v6

Post by Skullator »

Bit of generic advice from an auto elecy
A wiring diagram is the first place to start..not the last get both and compare
once you know what each wire does do a list and tick off each wire then worry about the ones you cant explain or dont line up, colours as a rule will be similar
dont get overawed by 3 big plugs full of wires
Cheers
Mike
doubledip
cars: VE SSV

Post by doubledip »

just so everyone knows in future ... you will need to run the VZ PIM and VZ LS1 PCM for this to work correctly in your car... a VT, VX, VY part will be no good