Windows 8.1 and delco hacking

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
vlv81
cars: VR SS
VL V8

Re: Windows 8.1 and delco hacking

Post by vlv81 »

Hi delcowizzid

Looks like you might be right and I will have to get a ftdi one. I was unaware that there was more than one type. I would have thought and I hoped that the VCP drivers that are on the SiLabs site would somehow have worked to get around this coming up as a USBXpress Device and instead pick the device up as an additional com port. I have also just noticed that it does first pop up and come under other devices USB ALDL Bridge. then the computer automatically seems to load the drivers for a USBXpress Device instead of VCP.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Yeah thats not one of ours. Ours are all genuine ftdi. If you want one of ours check the for sale section.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
vn5000
cars: vn v8 commodore

Post by vn5000 »

As far as i know ,without a lot of stuffing around the silicone labs ics dont support 8192 baud rate anyway.
If you want the best ,hassle free hardware ,Antus is your man.
vlv81
VL V8

Post by vlv81 »

A quick update and maybe a heads up for users of Windows 8.1. My laptop has 2 USB 3 and 2 standard USB connections. I found that the ALDL cable doesn't work in the USB 3 connections. Not sure why this is though. Since buying the correct cable from Antus I have had no connection issues whatsoever using the standard USB connections. I would also like to point out that while Antus' ALDL cable seems expensive it would appear to be the only cable that does work and the extra paid for it is worth it in terms of backup and fault finding when issues do appear. I'm not bagging anyone elses equipment, just trying to point out what is the quickest, easiest and well known product out there. Just hoping that this may be of some use to another person out there and will save them time and money in the long run.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

your dead right, and the people involved have spend a lot of time making the product what it is today and that's why it does work where other cheap ones don't!
The1

Post by The1 »

id like to second the above and point out that any hardware should work, we dont lock in any of our hardware to any of the devices, but these cheap devices going around these days need alot of fiddling to make them work, then even then it can have issues, Antus & VL400 have gone to alot of trouble to design and manufacturer most of the items on here using Quality Genuine parts from the known Top manufacturers, you get what you pay for. No issues here using Genuine datalogging adaptors, nvrams etc on my win8.1 laptop in multiple cars.
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

the non ftdi tend to work okish just for logging but when realtime tuning you dont want corruption issues from noise in the cable.i support the guys as much as i can from this side of the ditch i even fit the boards for free for guys over here that buy them from antus.i also reburn the nvrams for the cost of postage if people have issues.VLV81's id on the way here now to reload for him its not one of antus's ones but hes bought the aldl cable :D
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

vlv81, do the usb 3 ports on your laptop work at all? Often they need different drivers. I do test and use my interfaces on usb2 and usb3 ports on my win7 test machine. But I know from experience computer motherboards about 2 years old often had aftermarket usb chips added for usb3 support as the chipsets didnt support usb out of the box. Those usb3 ports work just fine, but often need extra drivers the usb2 ports dont.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
vlv81
VL V8

Post by vlv81 »

Antus the USB 3 ports seem to run everything else I use just not the aldl cable. I might do some more investigation when I get time and see what is going on. Funny how the cable plugged up straightaway to the 2.0 ports, just not the 3 ports
The1

Post by The1 »

ive had laptops at work do similar things, newest drivers from the manufacturer fixed it.