Windows 8.1 and delco hacking

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
vlv81
cars: VR SS
VL V8

Windows 8.1 and delco hacking

Post by vlv81 »

Hi guys I have an NVRAM and ALDL USB interface cable and I'm having problems connecting. The car is a VR SS 5.0 auto. The NVRAM is fitted to the car ECU and the car starts, runs and drives really well. I'm running windows 8.1 on my laptop and can't seem to get Tunerpro RT V5 to recognise that the ECU is connected. I have also tried with the factory Memcal installed and still nothing. I'm wondering if anyone else is using Windows 8.1 and how you got it all connected. The computer makes the bip bip sound when I plug the USB/ALDL cable in but nothing comes up under drives/devices to say anything is plugged in. I have tried all available com ports and tried changing the echo settings in the plugin and also have tried the flashtool but nothing seems to happen. Do I need a laptop running XP or Vista or Windows 7? Thanks for any help
Jayme

Re: Windows 8.1 and delco hacking

Post by Jayme »

im running windows 8.1 and it makes zero difference. set up and working as per normal. you should see the virtual comport under 'ports' in device manager.
if not, you may have installed the wrong ftdi drivers. you need the vcp drivers.
vlv81
VL V8

Post by vlv81 »

Hi Jayme Thanks for the quick reply. I see in device manager that I am on com port 10, I have downloaded the vcp drivers from silicon labs but I keep getting code 10 device cannot start. I'm finding this a bit of a head scratcher. I think the laptop recognises something is being plugged into it but for some reason isn't loading the drivers correctly. Under ports nothing comes up when the USB/ALDL cable is plugged in. I'm obviously doing something wrong or stupid!
vlv81
VL V8

Post by vlv81 »

Right. Finally found that the USB/ALDL cable is being picked up by the computer as a USBXpress Device. Does anyone know how I can set this cable up as a com port instead of a USBXpress device. I have tried connecting the cable to an XP computer, for interests sake more than anything, and it is also registered as a USBXpress Device rather than listed on the COM Ports. I'd really appreciate a hand here, thanks
Jayme

Post by Jayme »

what type of device is your cable? normally they are ftdi but yours is silicon labs? where did you get it?
vlv81
VL V8

Post by vlv81 »

Hi Jayme Tried going to the FTDI website and downloading a driver straight from there as well but didn't work either. I believe now this is because the cable is not being seen as a VCP but a USB device. The cable came from another member on the forums along with a PCM Hacking NVRAM. I think the NVRAM is fine as the car is able to run on it its just the cable isn't being recognised under com ports
Jayme

Post by Jayme »

was it a cable from antus or a different member? can you post up a photo of the board? usbxpress is a silabs device, not FTDI ...
Jayme

Post by Jayme »

you might need vcp drivers from here?

http://www.silabs.com/products/mcu/Page ... ivers.aspx
vlv81
VL V8

Post by vlv81 »

Hi Jayme

Using the CP210X_VCP drivers from the site you've suggested and it doesn't seem to make a difference, still pops up as a USBXpress device. I'm sure there is a step or setting that I'm missing during the installation process but I'm blowed if I can figure out what that step is. I just can't seem to get it recognised as a com port.
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

its obviously a bad copy of the real deal being that its not ftdi it may not work at all who did it come from
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem