VX V6 not starting

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
hsv08
cars: (EX) VT SENATOR 355 STROKER
(EX) VT SS 304 MANUAL
NOW VX V6 HACK

Re: VX V6 not starting

Post by hsv08 »

So we have put in new cam sensor, still no go, took a lead off and turn motor over, no spark.
Next attempt, take my whole dfi and coil unit off my car and put on his.
whats the chances of a corrupt ecu?
Jayme

Post by Jayme »

spark works 100% independently of the ecu during crank..... if there is no spark during crank it is pretty much limited to pickup or DFI problems
hsv08
(EX) VT SS 304 MANUAL
NOW VX V6 HACK

Post by hsv08 »

Jayme wrote:spark works 100% independently of the ecu during crank..... if there is no spark during crank it is pretty much limited to pickup or DFI problems
Ok no worries, thanks Jayme, will check out this DFI unit and coils.
hsv08
(EX) VT SS 304 MANUAL
NOW VX V6 HACK

Post by hsv08 »

ok, so took the DFI unit and coils off my VS v6 and tried it on his VX, still no start, checked all fuses and relays again all sweet. tried taking off spark plug lead and looked inside it while cranking, no spark, earthed screw driver onto body. nothing, reburned his entire BIN copy I saved and still nothing!
I am running out of ideas. What triggers the coils to fire during cranking? we have replaced the cam angle sensor too.
Jayme

Post by Jayme »

crank angle sensor behind balancer triggers the spark... the cam sensor just helps the ecu... nothing to do with spark.
got power to the power wire into the DFI module?
hsv08
(EX) VT SS 304 MANUAL
NOW VX V6 HACK

Post by hsv08 »

Jayme wrote:crank angle sensor behind balancer triggers the spark... the cam sensor just helps the ecu... nothing to do with spark.
got power to the power wire into the DFI module?
Hmmmm I did have the "no ref pulse" while cranking fault up last time I logged while cranking. also has no rpm on logs
I am thinking maybe this crank sensor has gone. which was replaced not long ago. didn't check power to dfi as I had no multimeter at work. how does the DFI mod work? is it power from PCM then ref from crank angle sensor then it will start discharging?
Jayme

Post by Jayme »

you can unplug the PCM and the DFI will still spark......

DFI gets power from ignition relay... crank angle sensor is wired directly into the DFI module. it sparks based on the crank angle sensor pulses directly during crank.
hsv08
(EX) VT SS 304 MANUAL
NOW VX V6 HACK

Post by hsv08 »

Jayme wrote:you can unplug the PCM and the DFI will still spark......

DFI gets power from ignition relay... crank angle sensor is wired directly into the DFI module. it sparks based on the crank angle sensor pulses directly during crank.
So its come down to relay (which ive confirmed clicking under my finger when ignition is on) and crank sensor..... Whats involved in changing that sensor out?
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

pulling the harmonic balancer off then its right there ......

did you also try his coil pack on your car ?
hsv08
(EX) VT SS 304 MANUAL
NOW VX V6 HACK

Post by hsv08 »

This dudes been ripped then, last mechanic pulled the whole motor it to do the crank sensor. Makes me wonder whether he actually did it properly in the first place. No we didn't. We ran out of time to do the swap into my car. He has taken the car back to his place now so all I can really do to help is to tell him what to check out. So far it's down to spark which could be the dfi module (which I fitted mine to his with no success). And the crank angle sensor. Logs show no rpm pulse at all winding over. From what he has said about starting being hit or miss I'm thinking crank sensor. Though he has also said that pulling the bat off for 5 mins usually let's it start again.