Tuning delco

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
wombat77
cars: VN SS

Tuning delco

Post by wombat77 »

Hi all new to the site. I'm after someone to tune my standard delco or steer me in the right direction. I live in the western suburbs of NSW. I have just installed a 355 with a vortech in my VN SS 5 speed. The bottom end is a come racing stroker built by CVE performance in Melbourne. It has a stage 3 crow cam ported and polished heads with standard bananas. It has a Vortech V1 non intercooled installed. I have larger injectors to go in and am going to eventually upgrade the fuel system. It has the standard factory extractors and a single 2.5 inch exhaust system. This still to be upgraded.
gaza_2
cars: VH sle 5.0 injected
Hj panel van project
80 series landcruisern1FZFE

Re: Tuning delco

Post by gaza_2 »

Hi mate,
Whilst I can't help with tuning, before you get it tuned we need info on injectors upgrade (I'd be looking at that sooner than later) , and I would look at changing out the bunch of bananas out, as the current setup will not be able to breathe well at all, on a worked 304 it causes restriction, so with a blown 355 she is going to be held back big time, and the same with the exhaust, tunes cost money so you may aswell get your intake/exhaust sorted before you get it tuned, then you will also see the full potential of this setup, also it may pay to have a look at the strength of the gearbox, as I think you may find you will be pushing the limits of the T5 on e this beast see's it's potential. I'm sure some one on here can help you with a tune, but I don't want to see you having to have it done more than once.
Cheers Gareth
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

I don't agree about changing the bananas! ... yeah sure you might be able to get more HP from another manifold, but the boost will offset the size of the manifold and I don't think it will cause any restrictions but will also keep everything flowing nicely down low!

but I totally agree, get everything done to how you want it before throwing cash at a tune!
gaza_2
cars: VH sle 5.0 injected
Hj panel van project
80 series landcruisern1FZFE

Post by gaza_2 »

Hi holden 202,
I'm quite aware you are. Knowledgeable bloke I have learnt a lot from lots of your posts but what I was referring to was optimum and if you are spending the money on a supercharged 355 I'd imagine you would want the most you can get from it.
The Restriction isn't caused by the manifold per se but by the 65 Mm throttle body and the immediate 90 degree turn leaves it around the 950 cfm flow mark ( good upto around 300 rw hp but after that it's effictevly chocking the motor)but as you said boost may off set this , however this was addresses by Starr manifolds which opened up the elbow and fitted a 90 Mm throttle , still looks stock but flows around 1900 cfm plenty of scope for a blown 355, which depending on motor specs and boost setting should see 400 rw hp as a minimum.
Feel free to correct me if I'm off cock here.
Cheers Gareth
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

yeah I totally agree there are restrictions, and if for a naturally aspirated motor you need something like the star manifold to be serious, I guess its a matter of how much money you want to spend to get the extra HP really.
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

on a side mount blower that cant make bottomend keep the bananas LOL
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
wombat77
cars: VN SS

Post by wombat77 »

I had a starr manifold on it to begin with but couldn't see anyway of running the vortech without cutting the bracket up.