G161 gemini with 808

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
TdracerTd
cars: Td Gemini coupe (race car WIP)
Holden VE SS ute (tow car/daily)
Vp commodore V6 (race car, s/c, e85, intercooled)
Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland (mrs car, family bus)
My12 subaru STi (Weekend warrior/Toy)
1972 LJ torana GTR (my Dad's car)
Mitsubishi Evo IX

G161 gemini with 808

Post by TdracerTd »

I have been kicking around with the idea of using an 808 to run an injected gemini g161 I have built. It has a rodeo injection setup on it and I had originally planned to run a microtech fuel only computer and a standalone Bosch Electronic ignition. Since I have been messing around with the 808 on my VP I have realised how powerful these things are.

Any hints you can give me to get me started?

Can I use any of the bits from the bosch electronic ignition, at least I know I'm going to need a crank signal, maybe it will be okay for that?
Holden202T

Re: G161 gemini with 808

Post by Holden202T »

yeah you should be able to lock the advance in the dizzy and then use a camira ignition module to talk to it, find a JE camira will have most the parts you need.

antus might be able to give you a bit more specifics on this as his Gemini is injected with delco.
TdracerTd
Mitsubishi Evo IX

Post by TdracerTd »

Yeah. I think I may need to do a little mor homework, just so I can get my head around all of the ins and outs.
TdracerTd
Mitsubishi Evo IX

Post by TdracerTd »

Can a commodore loom be modified to suit or would you need a camira loom? Also how does the camira get its home?
Dazza92VP
cars: 92 VP V8 Wagon

Post by Dazza92VP »

commodore looms is pretty much the same except instead of having a independant ignition module and coil its just built into one but can be converted to suit a camira module and ignition coil. the only main reason everyone wants the camira ones is just the fact it has its own very simple relay box and you dont have to spend for ever stripping the unused crap out of the commodore one
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Can use commodore loom, je camira loom, n13 pular loom. The rodeo injectors are high impedance which is what you need. The throttle sensor is not ideal -its a switch type, so you might want to fit a vl commodore auto one on there.. I think it physically bolts on and see attached for analog pinouts.

You can use an RB gemini distributor, there are 2 chips in there, the first is the reluctor pick up, then the next one in the wiring is the ignitor. Cut the ignitor out and run the reluctor straight to the camira ignition module pickup. Otherwise you can buy american D1927a ingnition modules and use those. See this thread for fitment to an isuzu g200w. http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2276 note that the troubles we had on that one were a faulty ignition module, so when buying in from the states its worth getting two so you have a spare for testing. That install would have been a lot simpler if we just tested the module up front instead of trying to make mount stronger and stronger (which I now doubt was really required).

I can give more info if you decide to go ahead.
Attachments
isuzu nissan JECS tps_s.jpg
isuzu nissan JECS tps_s.jpg (148.19 KiB) Viewed 4651 times
tps.JPG
tps.JPG (76.16 KiB) Viewed 4651 times
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
TdracerTd
Mitsubishi Evo IX

Post by TdracerTd »

Great info antus thanks. I will go about amassing parts.

Just so I understand though, the crank angle pulse would be coming from the dizzy? Or do I need to fab a up a bracket to mount a sensor on the crank pulley?
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Post by VL400 »

In this case it would be easiest from the RB dizzy and its internal reluctor pickup, wire straight in to a cheap and off the shelf locally camira (style) ignition module.

If you want to run coil packs and a D1927A ignition module from a US vehicle then you need to fab up a crank pickup and trigger wheel.
TdracerTd
Mitsubishi Evo IX

Post by TdracerTd »

VL400 wrote:If you want to run coil packs and a D1927A ignition module from a US vehicle then you need to fab up a crank pickup and trigger wheel.
I would like to run coil packs. I know these are dumb questions, but with that set up there's no need for a dizzy right? Also, what type of sensor is good. Is there any alternative to the abs sensors. I wonder if a commy crank sensor and harmonic balancer could be used or modified?
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Post by VL400 »

TdracerTd wrote:I would like to run coil packs. I know these are dumb questions, but with that set up there's no need for a dizzy right?
Correct, often called a DIS setup. DIS = distributor-less ignition system.
TdracerTd wrote:Also, what type of sensor is good. Is there any alternative to the abs sensors.
Almost any reluctor sensor should work but mounting and the trigger slots are VERY critical. Rigidity of the sensor mounting plays a huge part in preventing misfires, along with getting the slots cut evenly and getting the sensor the right distance away.
TdracerTd wrote:I wonder if a commy crank sensor and harmonic balancer could be used or modified?
Your short a couple of cylinders on the Gemini engine.

Personally I would run it on the RB gemini dizzy, get things working with locally available off the shelf parts and then upgrade to a DIS setup if you need to.