VX V6 and 4L60E into a RZH hiace

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
GT6MK3
cars: V6 Hiace
Triumph GT6
Monaro

VX V6 and 4L60E into a RZH hiace

Post by GT6MK3 »

VA while back I took over a project van, with a tired VX v6 and 4L60E that someone had cooked one too many times for it to run properly. I'm looking to build a load capable highway cruiser for getting to and from my 2nd job, which see's me hitting the highway for a 1 hour each way commute a few times a week.

Over the last few months I've replaced the engine and trans with one that popped up from a low km VXII, and figured out most of the bodges the previous owner had done to make it run.

The added bonus is that it's dual fuel, with an old ring style mixer, with Davies Craig EWP's and controllers for the fans, and has a V6 Conversions BCM replacement..

It now runs, the aircon works, it idles reasonably well most of the time, but it still chucks egr errors, and temp errors and has some low idle hassles when the EWP and fan kick in.

It also vents the EGR to nowhere, is running at about 22 liters of lpg per 100 k's and has some issues with the gearing/changes not being as tight as I'd like. After the engine change I worked hard to fix all the driveline/body/electrical issues, and I'm now at the point where I need to fix the engine and trans stuff.

I was thinking about ditching the BCM and ECM and going with Megasquirt (which I've used before, and has pretty awesome Autotune capabilities), when I found this site.

I was given an ALDL/USD cable someone at work wasn't using, and have tried to capture and clone the PCM with very mixes and dody resilts - I suspect the V6 Conversions harness and BCM simulater are causing too much traffic and chatter.

This week I tried to build a bench test harness based on the info from here, but either I follow it badly, or the details for flashtool have changed, because I cant connect to it on my spare VX ecu. I can get my running ECU to occasionally connect to Flashtol in the van, but cant do anything after that. I'm loath to put the running ECU on the banchtester in case I blow it up.

Long story short, I'm going to have a big swing at getting the VX ECU talking either on the bench or in the Van tomorrow. What I'd like to do first is kill off the EGR. Can anyone point me at how to do that.

After that, I'd like to explore ways to either keep the V6 conversions loom and BCM simulator but get some tuneability and tranny control, or re-hack the loom to lose the BCM simulator and get it running better (autotune etc).

Comments? Suggestions?
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Re: VX V6 and 4L60E into a RZH hiace

Post by VL400 »

If you disconnect the BCM simulator from the ALDL bus you should be able to use the bench setting to connect to the PCM while installed in the car.

Can also listen to chatter in the flashtool to get an idea of what the ALDL looks like. If the simulator does not respond to a disable chatter command it will be the cause of the problems connecting.
GT6MK3
Triumph GT6
Monaro

Post by GT6MK3 »

Awesome! Thanks!

Pulled the V6C BCM while flashing.

That let me clone and throw in my spare VX ECU.

Next I tried editing the stock Bin to disable the EGR and the CAT overtemp by maxing out the start temps -running LPG other than startup so the cats are (ahem) "quite high flow"...
Hiace VX no EGR or CLA.bin
(128 KiB) Downloaded 184 times
Uploaded and ran. Whoohoo!

Is there a more efficient way to disable than just maxing the temps?

So then I doubled down.

Tried running The1's enhanced bin, with egr also set impossibly high.
the1.bin
(128 KiB) Downloaded 165 times
Interesting results. I could fire up and run, both with or without the V6 conversions body control simulator, but only on LPG. No fuel was getting through on Petrol. And, onLPG it ran like a 3 legged dog, with a 2000rpm idle and very stragne gearchange points.

I thought it might be the V6C BCM unhappy about vats baing off, so I tried it with Vats checked.
the2.bin
(128 KiB) Downloaded 175 times
Still a very unhappy van. Starts, kicks over runs on LPG, nuthing but crank noises on petrol

Any thoughts?

C.
The1

Post by The1 »

You will need to set both those EGR scalars to max temp, one is to enable the coolant check
GT6MK3
Triumph GT6
Monaro

Post by GT6MK3 »

Any thoughts why it wouldn't run your lovely enhanced tune on Petrol?
The1

Post by The1 »

Sounds like external issue, does LPG interfere with ecu or injectors? To many factors at play really
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Its not as simple as VATS security being enabled and failing? That is implement with a petrol fuel cut, so it with the gas coming in externally it would run but no fuel will be delivered on petrol.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396