Holden VT ecotec with nvram connection issues

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
VT1GER
cars: Holden VT stroker, cammed, blown.

Holden VT ecotec with nvram connection issues

Post by VT1GER »

OK so i have my nvram fitted up along with the cable etc all supplied from pcmhacking. i have setup all of the software tunerpro with the ose plugin etc. i can get it all to connect. but once i press the logging button. (the 2 horizontal arrows icon) all the gauges etc in the dashboard fly around going nuts and it is flashing between connected/error at the bottom of the screen and counting up rapidly of errors. When i unplug the "A" plug on the BCM it all goes to normal. The thermo fans are on constantly but all the data showing through the TP software dashboard is accurate. When adjusting values when emulating (which i believe is the real time tuning) the car is really slow to react to show its actually changing anything and sometimes no reaction at all. I played around with the idle speed rpm VS coolant temp table and it seemed to adjust the rpm after a few seconds. But when adjusting the main spark table/s to stupid values to try and see it was actually changing the car did not react. ( i thought it should stall out or something) Unless there is some fail safe system that comes into play and overrides stupid or out of range values to stop it from stalling??

When adjusting values in tables it says successful at the bottom when i press update.
The1

Re: Holden VT ecotec with nvram connection issues

Post by The1 »

if your are connected properly the dash cluster should complain of having no connection soon after you connect, sometimes i find you need to do it twice, it doesnt' get the chatter disable packet in the first time. This is why the guages so silly cause it's not getting data properly.

As for the values it all depends, yes alot of the tables in some xdf's do have limits set, you could also be hitting the program limit of FF/255 hex/decimal
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Re: Holden VT ecotec with nvram connection issues

Post by antus »

As above. It sounds like its working OK to. You can set the car to type 'VT' and it should silence the BCM (the trade off being the comms to the dash have to stop to make room for the tuning, so the dash errors while you are working). But after a short while the chatter starts up again you get the errors as you describe. You can either start logging as soon as you connect, or disconnect the BCM as you have done. Is the car idling when you change the spark? If so It'll be using spark to control the idle revs, so you wont see your changes until you start driving and get it out of idle mode. There are often multiple tables that work together too, and the car smooths out changes as things happen in many cases which may slow observation of the changes. This is so if there is anything like an electrical spike the car wont do anything crazy because of 1 bad sample of info from a sensor, the spike will be smoothed out. There are also multiple spark tables, hot, cold, hi octane, low octane, and other warmup variables too (whats there depends on exactly what operating system it is). So the specifics all just depend, but you description sounds OK.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396