Couple of "hiccups" then engine shut down

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
vlv81
cars: VR SS
VL V8

Couple of "hiccups" then engine shut down

Post by vlv81 »

Hi all attached a copy of an XDL file, at least I hope I have. I have just started logging and this is the second log I did. I was cruising on the motorway and hit a small bump and I mean small. The car hicupped, flashed the engine check light and carried on. The further I drove the more this happened until the engine stalled and wouldn't restart. Freaky stuff when your coming off a 100 km/hr zone. I coasted the car to the side of the road and couldn't restart it. I plugged my spare ECU in and it fired up straight away as happy as. I'm not sure whether the bump dislodged the NVRAM or something similar causing the car to eventually stall. This occurs at the end of the log file. I did check that the NVRAM was in tight when I pulled over and it seemed to be but just wondering if the car runs on a standard ECU but not the modified one the problem must be somewhere in the new ECU and NVRAM. I would appreciate any help on this. I haven't got the wideband O2 sensor yet but should have it delivered by the end of the week. Thanks in advance
Attachments
number 2.xdl
(287.73 KiB) Downloaded 181 times
Holden202T

Re: Couple of "hiccups" then engine shut down

Post by Holden202T »

What are you running $12P code ?

Do you have an EPROM programmer you can read the nvram with to see if it corrupted your tune ??
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

I think its your CAS. Your RPM signal goes pretty shakey at the end... drops out.. comes back.. then gone... probably the power cycle got it going again, but It certainly looks like a CAS issue of some kind to me. Check wiring, cleanlyness of connectors etc out to it.
Attachments
vlv81.png
vlv81.png (25.77 KiB) Viewed 3473 times
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
vlv81
VL V8

Post by vlv81 »

Thanks for the replies guys.

Holden 202T: At the moment I am running the stock Holden files but after getting some logging done and getting my head around whats going on I plan to use 11P. Its from a VR 5.0 auto. Hope thats the information you were after. Yes I have an Eprom programmer, the old school one that connects with a parallel port cable :) I am using a realtime NVRAM with the jumper wire soldered into the ECU. It runs fine on a stock unmodified ECU.

Antus: I checked the wiring to all sensors this morning and found no problems. I got up about 6:30 and started working on it. I'm thinking its OK as well because the engine runs fine on another stock ECU even over bumps. I live in the eastern suburbs in Christchurch New Zealand which has been badly affected by the earthquakes. The roads are absolutely shocking. I'll fit the modified ECU back into the car after lunch and see if I can get it to run again. The way it was faulting it felt like something wasn't connected properly and it was dropping in and out of connection. I'll let you know how I get on later.

Once again thanks for the help
vlv81
VL V8

Post by vlv81 »

:thumbdown: Right so here is the state of play. Plugged in a bog stock standard VR 5.0 Auto Ecu and the car runs fine. No engine fan running. Did a 200km round trip with it in, so at least I have a running car. Bad thing is when I put in a VR 5.0 Auto ECU with the NVRAM the engine coughs once and then refuses to fire all the while I am getting no communication between the NVRAM equipped ECU and my laptop. The engine fan is running during all of this. Previously I could start and run the car without it connected to my laptop. I went to the local wrecking yard and the best I could do was a VR V6 ECU with the same service number on it. I thought what the hell its only $115 so I bought that and swapped the memcal out and put the NVRAM in. Same story no communication to the ECU but the engine coughs once then refuses to fire again. The engine fan is running all the time as well. I plugged the unmolested ECU back in and the engine fires up and runs like normal. I'm really hoping for someone to have an idea of what is going on. I have my COM port set up correctly. I believe I have the OSE plug in set up correctly. I believe I have the echo setting correct. The ignition is definitely on and there is power to the ECU. The cables between laptop and ALDL connector are definitely on and a COM port test reveals that the laptop recognises something is connected to it. I believe I have the vehicle type setting correct. Should I be able to connect to the factory unmolested ECU and at least log with the cable and Tuner Pro? Any ideas on what is going on? Would really appreciate some input here everyone. Everything was working ok until I hit a small bump in the road. I was able to read/write and log so I'm just unsure what is happening now
Dylan
cars: VR Commodore V8

Post by Dylan »

Is the eeprom fitted properly on the nvram possibly dislodged. I've been known to bend pins when fitting them.
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

probably NVRAM corrupted.

Mine cracked the shits when I touched the back of the ECU board, plugged up but ignition off.

Try changing the bank select jumper to bank B. And see if that still has a good copy of 12P running on it. Mine did so I was able to work around until I got a programer.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
vlv81
VL V8

Post by vlv81 »

Hi Dylan, Yep carefully checked and all ok.

Vlad01 I will see if I can get it going on the other bank, cheers hadn't thought of that
vlv81
VL V8

Post by vlv81 »

Hi vlad01 just changed over to bank B and the engine fires and runs well. How do I stop this from happening again? Was it likely caused by the bump in the road or some other fault? How do I repair the corrupted bank A? I have a burner but not really sure what the process involves. Once again thanks for the help and advice from everyone. Its very much appreciated :D
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

not sure what caused it, perhaps a fault in the electrics causing a momentary voltage spike or loss? when you went over the bump and somehow stuffed the NVRAM?

Are you using the latest NVRAM gear from Antus? and 12P V111?

All I did is used my programer to write the 12P V111 stacked V8 bin that is included in the zip file to re-program the NVRAM with default 12P . Then used tuner pro to write my actual tune after to get back to where I was.

TP only writes the calibration area not the whole 12P program so thats why you need to write using a programmer.

what kind of programer have you got?
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.