Vs v6 ecotec not starting

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
lacham05

Vs v6 ecotec not starting

Post by lacham05 »

Hi all

I have a VS V6 ecotec engine in a hilux with a BCM simulator from Marks 4WD adaptors.

I have remade the harness up with the relays the same as what a VS commodore would have and its has everything else to start up, fuel pressure etc but cant get it to fire.

I'm wondering if it will start even though I'm using a Auto ecu and harness?

and if it will what should I be checking for?
Holden202T

Re: Vs v6 ecotec not starting

Post by Holden202T »

I wouldn't think the auto ecm should be an issue, it might throw codes cause the auto box isn't there but that shouldn't stop it running.

if its not running I'd be looking more at making sure you have injectors pulsing and spark, if not then it might be the bcm simulator or something like that .... basically if it gets no response from bcm simulator to say its passed the security check then it will crank but not fire.
lacham05

Post by lacham05 »

Cool thanks mate, I'll give it another go tonight after work.

The only other thing I could think of was the white 9 pin plug that's next to the PCM plugs, are there any of those pins that need power or earth or looping?

One of those pins the BCM simulator plugs into but other than that I've got nothing else going into it
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

lacham05 wrote:Cool thanks mate, I'll give it another go tonight after work.

The only other thing I could think of was the white 9 pin plug that's next to the PCM plugs, are there any of those pins that need power or earth or looping?

One of those pins the BCM simulator plugs into but other than that I've got nothing else going into it

yep, the pink one needs ignition feed.

Can't remember which number though.

Also should have serial line ground in addition to serial data line assuming the simulator is plugged to that.

There are few others but I don't know what your loom is like and the exact details of it.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
lacham05

Post by lacham05 »

Cool! Thanks
So I've now given that pink wire a 12v feed It goes to pin A4 and the bcm simulator has the serial ground on a good ground.

I have power to the injectors but I'm fairly certain they are not pulsing and no spark either.

I have everything plugged in that a standard VS V6 would have apart from the O2 sensors and the purge canister. I also haven't got the "warning check lamps" relay as I don't need that.

The ignition module has power and the cam and crank sensors have power also.

Only other thing I could think of is it something to do with it needing to be told it's in "park" or "neutral"
Any help is m
TdracerTd
cars: Td Gemini coupe (race car WIP)
Holden VE SS ute (tow car/daily)
Vp commodore V6 (race car, s/c, e85, intercooled)
Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland (mrs car, family bus)
My12 subaru STi (Weekend warrior/Toy)
1972 LJ torana GTR (my Dad's car)
Mitsubishi Evo IX

Post by TdracerTd »

Does it crank over at all? if not, could be the neutral lockout
lacham05

Post by lacham05 »

Yea it cranks over but that's only coz I have setup the starter relay separately to avoid having the warning lamps check relay

**also discovered that pins C2 and C3 are not earthed so trying that now and I'll post an up date in the next few minutes
lacham05

Post by lacham05 »

Tapped an earth to those pins and still no luck
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Not having a commodore im not sure the details, but even with a bcm sim does the sim need to be paired with the pcm? I reckon hooking up the CEL lamp might help you, also do you have an ALDL cable? seeing what the pcm is complaining about might help you too.

Failing that have you asked marks about it? They should be able yo tell you what their sim needs.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Post by VL400 »

No pairing is required on a vs v6, the PCM sends out a request and the bcm sim should reply saying there is a valid key. The PCM only disables fuel injectors until the valid key message is received, so if the sim is not working will still get spark - a bit of fuel or spray in the intake and it will fire up briefly.