VX intercooling and swap flash pcm with memcal pcm

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
Pacer
cars: VX L67 manual getrag, cammed and running 14 psi
VZ LS2 Clubsport R8 unmodified!!!
The runt of the litter Jaguar XJS 5.3 v12

VX intercooling and swap flash pcm with memcal pcm

Post by Pacer »

Hey guys
First I want to say how absolutely fantastic this forum is. I got interested in tuning the delco systems back in Dec 2012 when I realised the lack of tuning in WA's south west after camming my NA motor :rant: So I decided to have a look around, found this place, learnt the basics of tuning and modifying the delco, progressed from there and ever since any and every question I've ever had has had answers and the information right here on this forum :thumbup:

So this is the first time I've actually needed to post here but I can't find any information to help.
A few months ago i swapped out my NA for a l67 plonked in front of my getrag, tuned it up on the flash PCM only for a lifter roller to seize 2 weeks down the track which made me completely rebuild it. Currently I'm running stage 2 Comp Cam, double row timing chain, balance shaft removed, 130# valve springs, oil cooler and a Yella Terra snout with 14 psi (77mm) pulley which has quickly maxed out the vx flash PCM parameters.

I've now got a 16233396 PCM and done a S/C PCM to flash PCM harness adapter, same as what The1 has done, so I can keep my flash loom in one piece. If I wanted to run the boost solenoid would I just run a single wire from E1 on the S/C PCM to it? Also does the PCM ground switch the solenoid or power switch?

My main question in all this is in the next two weeks I'll be fitting a 21psi (61mm) pulley and running an external W2A intercooler setup which will add another 2-3 foot of length to the intake system. I know people have issues tuning with MAF on A2A setups, would I still have the same issues even if my setup intake length was much shorter than an A2A? To a degree I'd imagine so but not as severe?
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Re: VX intercooling and swap flash pcm with memcal pcm

Post by vlad01 »

Hi and welcome.

PCMs usually ground the solenoid.

I know few people has issue with idle and long runs of ducting. I dont have experience with this, but I know MACE do a very nice W2A intercooler sandwich plate type cooled that just mounts under the charger. That way you have no ducting at all to worry about and its very neat! But kit is pricey.

Cheers.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

the mace coolers wont cool 21psi out of an L67 even doubled up one on top of the other
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

oops, miss the 21 psi part lol.

yeah I thing their coolers are good up to 17 psi or so.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
ejukated

Post by ejukated »

don't bother with the PCM boost solenoid, they often leak and bleed your boost. You should keep the bypass solenoid though
Pacer

Post by Pacer »

Thanks for the quick reply guys
That leaves me with running either a 5V or 12V supply to the solenoid to get it working, I assume it'd be 12v for it. I'm planning to have it there so I can set it in the bin to allow a low max boost on a cold engine and progress it along to run full boost at say maybe 70C. Hate the thought of 21psi running on a stone cold engine :shock:
delcowizzid wrote:the mace coolers wont cool 21psi out of an L67 even doubled up one on top of the other
Lol go three and have the charger hanging out the bonnet, it'd look beasty as hell :punk:

Yeah 21 psi makes it interesting, I'll have a nicely sized W2A cooler slotted in front of the engine and plumbed up to maces A2A sandwich plate. So 4 90 degree elbows and two straight pipes will be my plumbing between them.

So disconnect the solenoid and leave the actuator in place? Atm I have the actuator there but with no vac lines connected
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

needs to be plumbed so it opens with closed throttle vacum and boost to hold it shut
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
ejukated

Post by ejukated »

It's called a 21psi pulley as a leftover from the mid 2000s when FIT were marketing them here and the L67 scene was kicking off. It's actually a 63mm or 2.5" pulley which is what it's sold as in the states etc. anyway, the point is you will probably see 10ish psi in the LIM with a cam and A2A.

For the bypass solenoid, disconnect the line that goes to the electric solenoid and leave the vacuum port connected to the charger body. There's pics on l67torque.com
Pacer

Post by Pacer »

Yeah that's how I thought it was suppose to be rigged up but wasn't 100% sure. When I got the engine a couple months ago it had no solenoid and had no lines plumbed up so I've always been curious how it actually should go.
So best plan of attack is to ditch the progressive allowable max boost vs engine temp and opt out for a very disciplined right foot lol

Yella Terra advertise the 61mm pulley for my snout as 21 psi but as you said ejukated I won't be seeing that at the LIM with my W2A setup and other mods. Even atm my advertised 14 psi pulley (77mm) from Yella Terra with all my other mods, no cooler, cam, 2.5 inch extractors and 2.5 inch full free flow exhaust I read 12 psi. That's why I prefer telling people what size pulley I run, pressure at the LIM is never going to be the same over a variety of setups.

But in regards to my original question would my short W2A cooler setup have any issues with being a MAF tuned setup?
krusty
cars: VY Calais guzzler, Toyota Corolla almost hybrid

Post by krusty »

I did 250rwkw on a tower of terror cooled car today. Runs a 61mm charger pulley and 5%od balancer. No 21psi to be seen. Read 201kpa all the way

I think mafless on an 808 or some other system is essential for someone like yourself diy tuning A2a. Maf just doesn't feel right in the transitions but also haven't spent years trying to tune maf on A2A either as I have mafless software so could be wrong