VT Series 1 BCM issue

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
johnnyboy1986

VT Series 1 BCM issue

Post by johnnyboy1986 »

G'day guys,

I have put a VT S1 5 litre into a toyota 4runner, its been running for about 6 months or so now.

It is running the stock delco ecu, with no BCM, VATS removed and 195i tune. The ecu mods were done by the place that modified the loom to be a standalone setup.

I have just started getting DTC 31. It only happens intermittently however when I go to start the car the fuel pump primes but there is no cranking. If I release and hit the starter again it winds over no worries. As soon as this happens DTC31 comes up. (I have tunerpro RT hooked up).

Any ideas what could be causing this? Is it likely to be a problem in the ecu?

I am also getting DTC 49, and the engine is sluggish under 3000rpm, however I believe this is due to an aftermarket dizzy being fitted. I have just got onto a genuine bosch unit and will be fitting it up in the next week which will hopefully fix the code 49.

It seems strange to be getting DTC 31 when there is no BCM fitted at all. Any ideas on where to start with the ecu would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers
John
Jayme

Re: VT Series 1 BCM issue

Post by Jayme »

is it a real 195i engine? I was doing some research into the 220i recently and found the 195i and 220i HSV engines run a larger MAF (same part number as ls1) so if you have a run of the mill 5L engine with the standard
maf and put the 195i tune in it, you will end up running too rich and go backwards.

have you removed VATS from the tune or fitted a BCM simulator?
johnnyboy1986

Post by johnnyboy1986 »

Hey Jayme, thanks for the reply. As far as I know it is just a normal VT with the 195 tune added. It is running the 80mm diameter MAF, so this could be some of the problem. It's definately not an LS1 size MAF as I have one of those here which would be about 10mm or so bigger. The engine runs okay, its just really sluggish from idle up until about 3000rpm, it pulls hard after that. Do you think this could be the 195 tune?

The VATS were removed, there is no BCM simulator. The work was done by these guys http://www.qualityonelooms.com.au/ but not knowing much about the ecu side of things I'm not sure of the quality of work they did. It has me beat how I get DTC31- theft deterant signal missing when it should be completely removed from the system.

Cheers
John
VX L67 Getrag

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

Not positive on this but even if vats is disabled it may need the fault codes masked?

I do it just out of routine when I disable vats, but not sure if it's necessary!
Jayme

Post by Jayme »

maybe try to get a copy of the bin file with the flashtool
http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=82

and see if they really did turn VATS off.
johnnyboy1986

Post by johnnyboy1986 »

Jayme I can't get the flash tool to connect with my ecu. There is no VT v8 in the vehicle selection list, I tried it as VR & VS but neither of those would connect. Is there any way to get a copy of the bin with tunerpro?

If the fault codes needed to be masked and weren't I would have expected the problem to come up as soon as the ecu was installed? It has been running for about 6 months with the DTC31 and no crank intermittantly over the last few weeks

Thanks for the help guys
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Post by VL400 »

You can use"VT Eco or S/C in Vehicle" on a VT V8.

Which reminds me, the text for the presets needs to be changed!
johnnyboy1986

Post by johnnyboy1986 »

Thanks VL400!

I have attached the bin file that I saved if anyone wants to have a look. No idea how to read it or tell if the VATS have been removed properly, I'll do some more reading on the flashtool thread to see if I can get up to speed on it. Can I tell from the bin if it is infact the 195 tune also?
Attachments
vt bin.bin
(128 KiB) Downloaded 198 times
VX L67 Getrag

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

Well the VATs is definitely set (which means disabled) but the prog ID hasn't been AA'd another thing I do out of routine, but if checksum is complete it doesn't matter & the XDF I used doesn't have code 32 masks so I don't know if they've been masked (not sure if that even matters).

Sorry thats all I can tell you!
Jayme

Post by Jayme »

its a CFZC VT HSV 195i manual tune... not too much changed from stock.
vtdiff.JPG
vtdiff.JPG (58.84 KiB) Viewed 4468 times
record a log and post it up.... I had a look through the tunes, and it looks like the 195 tune has the same MAF tables as a stock 5.0... so maybe I was clicking on the wrong thing in microcat when I saw that the 195 had the ls1 maf... might just be the 220i.