Brand new "bricked" VZ V6 ECM's????

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
VX L67 Getrag

Re: Brand new "bricked" VZ V6 ECM's????

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

No worries at all, happy to help!

I don't have a tech2 but when I had a knock off & did some tis2web testing I think I could change the vin & get tech2 with access to change the calibration from memory. Which would save the $120 odd price for tuning software licensing, if it is possible!
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Which tool was able to talk to the 'bricked' pcm? Hptuners?
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

Hi antus,

Im sure VX L67 Getrag will respond to confirm but yes, Hptuners is what was used to get the pcm going again.

But just to clarify by 'bricked' i mean that the factory prescribed method of replacing the pcm will not work, (tech2 and tis2web) so i may be off with the title of this thread seeing as it now works with a different method of programming.

Can't wait for the next VZ to be towed in with 'Low fuel' lit up on the IPC to test the pcm on :D

Cheers.
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...
Dylan
cars: VR Commodore V8

Post by Dylan »

I had a VZ V6 once that randomly did that. And one of the oxy sensors never displayed a reading (with tech 2)
End up selling it (traded in) to many expensive and stupid problems. GM really failed in many ways with the VZ.
VX L67 Getrag

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

I haven't struck many electrical issues with VZ's as yet, but yeah failed in the sense of trying to stretch service intervals out which in turn causes the oil to carbon build & then stretch timing chain or cause tensioners to seize!

But yeah hpt read/wrote to it, was a very weird file originally on the controller with an extra weird op sys number which means you can't just do a write calibration as none of them are compatible!
Jayme

Post by Jayme »

sort of on this topic... does anyone have any dead VZ v6 pcms that are no good for running an engine but I can hook up on a bench to develop a CAN based AVT 852 ADX? would be so much easier that way.
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

Yes, drop me a pm and i'll send you some..
Tazzi
cars: VE SS Ute

Post by Tazzi »

antus wrote:Except with the drewtech and holden bin aldl does not appear supported under tech2win :(
This is a real pain here if one wants to diagnose any errors or problems on the older commodores! :thumbdown:
Is it a drewtech limitation or a tech2win limitation?
Would you recommend the Mongoose over an MDI (If there was an MDI that actually worked..)

Also.. those subscription prices.. wow..
I guess the yearly subscription isnt bad.. if you look at it in a daily cost. Roughly 3usd per day. Instead of $18usd/day for the 3day access!

Biggvl wrote: Can't wait for the next VZ to be towed in with 'Low fuel' lit up on the IPC to test the pcm on :D
The infamoous low fuel warning, power error and SVS error. I cant believe how often VZ ecus just shit them selves! Has anyone ever actual put a temp sensor on the units?
I have 3 or 4 VZ ecus here, all of which apparently dont work in car properly causing the above issues, except communicate perfectly on bench allowing for full reads and writes!

Biggvl, did you end up getting a Mongoose cable?
Jayme wrote:sort of on this topic... does anyone have any dead VZ v6 pcms that are no good for running an engine but I can hook up on a bench to develop a CAN based AVT 852 ADX? would be so much easier that way.
Yeah youll defnately need a ecu or two for testing! Impossible to develop anything without one in hand. :thumbup:
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

Sorry tazzi, after VX L67 getrag showed me that hp tuners gets the job done, I've done no more about it as I have hp...

I think in the future I'll go for drewtech for the work shop updates for newer cars, seem to be a more professional setup, I wish there was a better way...

Also, I've never had the thermometer out but I've removed plenty of VZ ecu's that are too hot to handle!!! I believe that mounting of ecu's to any engine is a shit idea not matter how well sealed/ip rated/heat proof the engineers make them, no electrical board can possibily last that many heat cycles and not begin to faulter. Id love to hear a good reason why they did it...

On the other hand if holden didn't engine mount rodeo, astra and commodore ecu's, then Id probably be out of a job :D
Tazzi
cars: VE SS Ute

Post by Tazzi »

No point spending more cash if you have something that already works!

I just find it so weird that the ecus I currently have on bench, are ecus that the scantools apparently couldnt communicate with and needed replacing with another unit. Yet, my tech2 and ELMs happily talk all day with them.
I know its out of the car, but didnt think that would be an issue.
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726