Brand new "bricked" VZ V6 ECM's????

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
Gareth

Brand new "bricked" VZ V6 ECM's????

Post by Gareth »

Hi All,

was wondering if anyone else has experienced dead on arrival VZ ECM's?

To explain, in the last 3 months we have replace approx 15 faulty ECM's (problems ranging from dead injector drivers to no comms/start, etc..) and have had 2 dead - using tech2, SPS gets to the first frame
"Programming in Progress"
"Performing Programming Operations"
"Line 1E"

And then after about 30 sec -

"Programming Failed"
"Utility 12646504"

Line 02 Operation 27 Error Code 35

In both cases till now another ECM has been fitted and problem has been solved. Yesterdays one is on its second and still no joy...

I should also mention that both where Calais sedans. The original ECM # is 92175385 which has been replaced by 12600940
I also need to add that all ECM's were purchased at our Holden dealer (preston) and are new in box.

My man at Holden said yesterday that it is a known problem and that in their workshop they just grab another from the shelf till it takes it...
We don't have that luxury, we wait 2 days to get each ECM = pissed customer every time...

Anyone got any thoughts?

Cheers, Gareth.
Last edited by Gareth on Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...
Gareth

Re: Brand new "bricked" VZ ECM's????

Post by Gareth »

P.S. I have one 'New in box' ECM that doesn't program if anyone wants me to send it to them to have a play with.
Gareth

Re: Brand new "bricked" VZ ECM's????

Post by Gareth »

Just had a response from Holden - "we no longer use Tech2 to SPS VZ ECM's, due to the download speed (of the blank ECM) is too fast, you must now use MDI"

this smells like bullshit... to me anyway

So I called Logicar who sell these as a plug and play, they still use tech2 :hmm:
VX L67 Getrag

Re: Brand new "bricked" VZ V6 ECM's????

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

Yeah I knew tis2web were trying to push mdi & drop old support I just assumed they wanted to sell another type of gear?

I can't test & program ecus on the bench if you want to send any my way & I can send back if I get them working @ whatever it costs for licensing & postage only, if interested pm me!
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

PM sent
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

This issue was fixed with a pre-programmed ECM from Logicar :comp:

Soooo... Im sure the issue is either with my tools (Tech2) or the car (which im sure is the case)

To get around this in the future should I bench program instead of in car? whats the best way to do this? anyone got a Drew tech pass thru?

Cheers, Gareth.
ejukated

Post by ejukated »

TechII programming can be slow and flaky. Heard the drewtech cable is much faster. I've bricked the alloytec ECMs before by not having enough current. Make sure you have a hefty power supply. Needs plenty of amps at reboot.
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

Thanks ejukated,

I've been looking at drew tech for some time, I think that it will be the way forward, was hoping to talk to someone that has and uses it.

We always use a Ctek charger when programming.

Cheers.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

I have a drewtech cable (well holden202T has it at the moment). The 'problem' is the tis2web subscription. You cant just buy support for a model and have it forever, you need to renew your subscription and it aint cheap. You can use tis2web with a tech2 as a passthrough interface.

I dont think its entirely just to force an update. Computers have converged with hand held tools, and they can have much improved interfaces on a larger screen, which suits better the insane complexity of modern vehicles. I can see that the old tech2 - even though it works - would be getting towards the end of its hardware limits. And swapping cards as needed isnt a great option for dealers dealing with multiple GM brands.

The 2/3 day options arnt too bad, but it aint what it used to be.

https://www.acdelcotds.com/acdelco/action/subscribehome
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

yeah I should post that back to you :P