Brand new "bricked" VZ V6 ECM's????

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
Gareth

Re: Brand new "bricked" VZ V6 ECM's????

Post by Gareth »

Thanks Antus,

So other than the costs of the subscription, are you happy with the tool and what it can do? I have the ongoing issue where we see all makes and models and Im expected to be able to fix all of them, in the past I have brought genuine tools but am finding that they go out of date way too fast. I can still remember the first week I got my Tech2 and plugging into a then new cruze only to find out that it wasn't supported :rant: The pass through tool seems to be the best answer I have come up with so far but have not found anyone in australia to talk to about the suitablity for use in a workshop.
Do you think that if I had used a drew tech instead of the tech2 i'd have had the same dramas that I had today?

Keen to know your thoughts, Cheers, gareth.
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Sorry, you can add me to the cant talk about its use in a workshop list. I dont do this stuff commercially and my day job is in IT. If you can bare the subscription costs (even pass the 2 day subscription to SPS on to the customer you could flash in factory updates. But its aimed at dealers and is more of a diagnostic toolthan a tuning tool like the aftermarket apps.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
ejukated

Post by ejukated »

anyone tried the Tactrix cable?

AFAIK HPTuners can full flash and I don't think there is a 2nd cpu in the bosch ones so that may be an option if you pay for unlimited Alloytec ECUs
Dazza92VP
cars: 92 VP V8 Wagon

Post by Dazza92VP »

At Isuzu we have the tech2 still and also our new unit same as mdi called gidss but what we also have is tech2win which is the tech2 program now made to run on windows exactly like it would on tech2 like an emulator program
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Except with the drewtech and holden bin aldl does not appear supported under tech2win :(
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
mattyc

Post by mattyc »

As holden said, tech 2 no longer supports sps programming for vz v6 as its too large of file and too slow now days, that's why they have changed it so that it does fail using tech 2 and the mdi has to be used for them, it's been like that for about 6 months or longer now, the other reason was due to tech2 age now, cables are getting fragile etc and if it crashes during programming it will brick the ecm
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

Hi all, thanks for the replies,
Except with the drewtech and holden bin aldl does not appear supported under tech2win :(
does this mean that drew tech won't work with my tech2win subscription?

Having only ever had to learn this stuff as required, it seems to me that the safest way for me to fit VZ ECM's is to bench flash them then link into the car? How can I get HPtuners to do that? How can tech2 do that? What is the best way to do that? I have never bench flashed anything so am totally new to the process.

The drew tech according to their website has the most capability and best quality as well as the ability to upgrade and follow technology requirements. Im tired of buying tools only to find out that I need another one as soon as a new model or system is released. :sad2:
If i get MDI then surely it will be out of date soon, if I get the drew tech it will take a lot less to stay in front of the competition? All I want to achieve is to be able to fix all cars that come through the door quickly and provide our customers with the best value - buying expensive tools that quickly become out dated is the fastest way to becoming the oppisite

Anyone who says that running a workshop and fixing cars is easy - doesn't do it...

All thoughts and ideas welcomed

Cheers, Gareth.
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

Can anyone identify what this is saying.
VX L67 Getrag

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

I have NFI what those errors mean!

I borrowed a chinese tech2 6 months ago & got the tis 3 day subscription & had nothing but troubles with connecting & had to have the right adapter & port settings but once I got it sorted it worked a treat!
I used 2 different E55's & changed the vins & let tis do a full write according to the vin & did this on both controllers 3 or 4 times & never had an issue, but then tried the same thing with E69 & E77 for the VE V6's but tis could only communicate with them every now & then but HPT did everytime & never got to the bottom of it, but was told by the same person who commented in this thread about making sure there's enough amp's for the bench power supply, which I got told that after I tried but there was every now & then tis did communicate with them & I think that may have been when I used a battery as the power source on the bench rather than a PSU!
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

Just a quick note to let everyone know, I sent the 'bricked' ECM to VX L67 Getrag who was able to flash a cal file onto it :punk:

so now I have a 'test ECM' on hand that we know works, I need to look into this bench flashing process to prevent this happening again.

Thanks again VX L67 Getrag :thumbup: