Total beginner

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
Delco Learner
cars: Multiple Cortina, F100
VN V6 S1 manual

Total beginner

Post by Delco Learner »

Hello everyone!
Ive been looking through this site for a while now, trying to get my head around the tuning of 808 roms.
Waiting for the lightbulb moment! But, its just not happenig.

My main goal is to be able to adjust the fuel and the timing on my S1 VN V6 manual commodore.
Essentially so that I can have her cruising at 110 Kmh approx 2000 rpm, a bit leaner
And to fatten her up a bit at high revs and low vac for when I want to sink the boot a bit.

I have downloaded TunerPro and also the Bin that matches my chip (ATJR 4357) and had a bit of a poke around.

Am I correct in thinking that the spark advance is controlled by table F1 SAMAIN: Main Spark Advance vs MAP and RPM

Now, the fuel map Is causing me grief.
Is it F60: Open loop A/F ratio vs RPM and MAP
Or something else?

I have access to a chip burner (I think!) and I have some spare chips from local wreckers. SO if I stuff 1 or 2 up, its no big deal.

AWUY -From VQ S2 statesman
BAAM -From VP series 2 Auto
BABR -From VP series 2 Auto

Many thanks, Allen
v8-tuning
cars: 304 commodore

Re: Total beginner

Post by v8-tuning »

Have your read the begginers guide?
Pretty much all the info you need to get started.
http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=655
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Also hit the FAQ button up in the top right. You have the right spark table but fuel is generally tuned by VE. But in your case the VE will be right so you may want to consider the AFR tables or Accelleration Enrichment. (This is assuming you have loaded the correct xdf).

You may also want to consider running OSE12P which is in the custom code area and which most the FAQ docs reference. You will need bigger chips though as stock for your car is only 16k so as is it wont fit on there -12P is 32k.

Also note the S1 spark map is different enough from later models that the spare chips you have, as is, will make your car run worse. Dont consider basing anything on those.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

Ive been looking through this site for a while now, trying to get my head around the tuning of 808 roms.
Waiting for the lightbulb moment! But, its just not happenig.
Keep reading and try wrecking a few chips like you intend, hands on is the best way I find to learn something new. I spent years reading all the fantastic posts and guides on here that have been written buy some really smart people :punk: And for a dumb mechanic like myself it has taken a long time to sink in, but the light bulb is starting to glow brighter... I find that i can read until my eyes hurt and not get any further you have to go out and try it, when you finally get it right it is definitely a :thumbup: moment.

Keep at it, it sounds like your'e on the right track
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...
Delco Learner
VN V6 S1 manual

Post by Delco Learner »

Hi, cheers for the response guys!

Ive loaded the $5D XDF into tunerpro, along with the ATJR bin as well.

Cant find a parameter for Accelleration Enrichment, and the fuel table is F60 yeah?

I see what you mean about the spark tables being different, I experimented with putting a BABR chip into the ECU, the old bum-o-meter couldn't really tell any difference, but seemed to use a bit more fuel. Engine still seemed to run fine.

Engine in question has got a S/C v6 CAI, K&N filter, extractors+2.25' exhaust(Nothing crazy!) And vt coilpacks and leads.

Cheers, Allen
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

F60 is the AFR target map.

Where the table has 14.7 the ecu will try to achieve this AFR when in closed loop mode (using the O2 sensor). In areas which are other than 14.7 the AFR is determined purely by the F29H VE table.

You should probably get the HSV tune to suit your engine (ARBP) as it's about the best base tune to work with.

Considering your mods you will most likely have leaned it out a touch anyway, a little more fuel in the top, some timing and it's good to go.

BTW, consider adding either a 65 or 70mm TB. Makes the throttle like an on/off switch. Most excellent with a manual VN V6 :D
Delco Learner
VN V6 S1 manual

Post by Delco Learner »

Ok, Cheers for that, So if I edit the F29H VE table, Do I increase the numbers for richer? Or decrease them?

Or, is the 808 able to interface with a wide band O2 sensor? Would it then be able to 'read' the differing voltage, and then attempt trim the fuel ratio to match the F60 fuel table?

Or is that only possible in the later Ecu's? VR manual one maybe?
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

Higher number = more fuel.

If you were to change over to the 12p tune than you could integrate a wideband sensor with the 808, you will however still need to tune the VE table yourself based on the results you get from wideband sensor using a histrogram table. The ECU will only self tune when in closed loop mode using the factory Narrow Band O2 sensor to achieve the stoichiometric AFR (14.7:1).

At the end of the day, without a WB O2 sensor you're doing a "best guess" with AFR's. I spent ages doing exactly that with a VN s1 V6 T5 and a G-tech altering fuelling and timing and seeing what it does as well as achieving a better fuel economy.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Have a read of the guides under faq up in the top right. It would be worth swapping to 12p and an 808 comms board (and probably an nvram)
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Delco Learner
VN V6 S1 manual

Post by Delco Learner »

Hi, Been away for a while, but still trying to learn.

Today I lucked in (I think!) at the local pick a part, and scored a VR V6 Manual ECU. The 1613082.
Only set me back $44.
When I popped it open, I was surpised to find that it had, instead of the usual chip, A DALLAS DS1230Y-100+ NVRam in it.
Also, there is a 15KOhm resistor next to the knock board. At least I think its the knock board!

My question is this-
1. If I plug this unit into the VN, How do I access the data stream? Seeing as how there is on OBD port in a VN.
2. Is realtime tuning possible on this setup? Note, its NOT the board sold on here.

Cheers, Allen