VX Super6 NVRAM Problems

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
Pacer
cars: VX L67 manual getrag, cammed and running 14 psi
VZ LS2 Clubsport R8 unmodified!!!
The runt of the litter Jaguar XJS 5.3 v12

Re: VX Super6 NVRAM Problems

Post by Pacer »

So after poking through a few threads I've now got a gq4x on it's way from from mcumall.

Are the Dallas chips electronically eraseable?

To write the bin it's just a matter of stacking it four times, to match the nvram size, in TP then writing it through the program for the gq4x?

Awesome cheers Antus. I'll flick you a pm in regards to sending it
charlay86
cars: VT S1 SS (L67)

Post by charlay86 »

Pacer wrote:Are the Dallas chips electronically eraseable?
Yes, they are a static RAM chip so they you are free to read and write them electronically.
Pacer wrote:To write the bin it's just a matter of stacking it four times, to match the nvram size, in TP then writing it through the program for the gq4x?
The L67 bins won't need to be stacked, they are the same size as the NVSRAM
Pacer

Post by Pacer »

Awesome, that makes it really easy to play around with chip burning then.

I got the program for the gq4x last night and sussed it out a bit. It all looks quite straight forward and easy to use. Hopefully I won't have to do to many rewrites courtesy of my stupidity though :roll:

Looked through the scan tool again after not being able to link the PCM and BCM the other night and it turns out snap on decided to put linking in the wrong subcategory, seems PCM and BCM linking would fall under key coding :comp:

So once I'm ready to fit the NVRAM again what would be the right procedure to set it up, when and what to do with the rw jumper, upload a modified bin before running it etc.

Like I've said before I'm a complete noob when it comes to chips and I don't particularly want to corrupt it again.

Cheers for the help I appreciate it a lot
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

BCM Linking has nothing to do with the nvram. The link info is stored in the PCMs eeprom chip. This is how it can work in factory configuration. What you can do with the nvram is easily disable the security in the tune (VATS). But as you have the proper tool to do a link, might as well go that way and make it a bit harder to steal your car.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Pacer

Post by Pacer »

Yeah I realise that. Just to simplify it I wanted to link the pcm and bcm then I could've just plugged the nvram in, started emulating and happy days. Unfortunately it didn't work out like that so I tried uploafing my modded bin with vats off and thats where my problems started.

Either way I have them linked now so once I get my nvram everything should go smoothly.

Yep definitely want vats on if I can considering the area I live in. Quite a few cars have been taken on joy rides lately.

On another note I think the memcal that I thought was "factory" has been rewritten to have vats off because my car was running on it before I had even linked the pcm and bcm.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

quite likely, i think a lot of places turn vats off when they touch the chip as until more recently nobody even knew what it was and from a workshops point of view they could make problems go away (like replacement ecu not working).
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Pacer

Post by Pacer »

Sounds exactly like what has happened. I was told the PCM was from a crashed vy but after checking the service number and memcal ID it was actually from a vx.

Took the car for a quick spin on the supercharged PCM before putting my flash PCM in and oh my god it makes a huge difference, constant pull up to the factory rev limit and completely maxed out the stock maf before hitting it.

The flash PCM which I'm still running always flat spots from 4500 onwards and after putting it on the dyno for the hell of it I realised why. The PCM maxes out at 4500rpm and perfectly flat lines my power and torque. Bearing in mind I didn't do any serious amount of spark tuning I pulled 400Nm and 250 rwhp at the point of the flash PCM maxing out. With a constant 25 rwhp per 500 rpm on the dyno, projected output assuming my setup doesn't tip off in power by 6500 should be in the 300-350 rwhp ball park. If I recall I don't think the cam starts to drop off in power until 7000rpm.

I'm intrigued to see what happens when I start running the NVRAM and get some solid tuning done, this might actually spell the end for the getrag box.

Also the shopping list for tomorrow includes another MAF. I'm thinking probably the Delphi 25168491. Anyone think the ACDelco 15900023 or 4 would be a wiser choice?