Help for the noob

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
madmartin
cars: VS ute
VT clubsport (manual)
There's 8 Motorcycles in the shed so really the cars live outside

Re: Help for the noob

Post by madmartin »

So it's in a VS ute that's had a VR 304 and trans fitted. I should have run away, but it's a hard thing finding a bench seat V8. My suspicion is whoever did the conversion brought one of those $80 trade me chips for it because I've never struck a V8 that runs so bad in my life. It's using way too much fuel and has this embarrassing habit of stalling when you put it in drive or reverse. I brought a cable off eBay but so far I can only work out how to get efilive to communicate with it, when I run the macro for resetting the tps things improve but really I'm a little lost with this pcm tuning thing. This is the first one I've tried to look at. Long story short, what I think I need is a chip from a standard VS V8, vats deleted. Think I'm pissing in the wind trying to sort the one that's fitted to my ute.
Charlescrown
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Post by Charlescrown »

Might help if you let us know where you are because I am sure there will be someone who can read your memcal or lend you a std V8 one.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

yep mad martin, i think thats the solution.

I'd say remove that 1U knock board and have a look underneath. See if its been modded correctly for V8 - see here - http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic. ... t=10#p6850

Then you need to find someone who can erase it and put the stock tune minus vats on it. Stock tunes can be downloaded here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3 (see under VS, $83A section).

You can disable vats yourself in the bin. Once you've got the stock bin, also download the matching XDF (can someone help? I think one of the other XDFs also works for $83? Let me know and i'll add the link to the bins thread...) and then you can change the vats flasg and save as to a new file with _novats in the filename just for identification purposes.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
madmartin
VT clubsport (manual)

Post by madmartin »

I'm in Nelson NZ

Id considered buying another VS chip off eBay, so if anybody in this forum has any experience or advice on that i'm all ears. Or if anybody here has one they want to sell, i'm keen.

I understand with these mods i should be able to re-write to it with this cable and a laptop, is that correct?

It's only got headers, no cats, everything else is stock, so a wanky chip ("HSV Enhanced" as the trade me ad said) was a total waste of somebody's money.

Given the state of the soldering i can almost tell without pulling it apart it's a shit job, really for $100 or so, i'd rather pissing about with the programming was somebody else's problem.
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

Good old phat01 off trademe with his v6 memcals lol I've fixed a few that have turned up with rough running cars and had v8 tunes on v6 memcals. Send me a pm I think I've done a tune for you before definitely seen your username before
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
madmartin
VT clubsport (manual)

Post by madmartin »

thanks Delco, i think you answered a thread i started on Just Commodores, will PM you now