Newbie, Where to start?

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
Macca97
cars: hj ute, hz wagon, copious amounts of random half started side projects

Newbie, Where to start?

Post by Macca97 »

Wasn't 100% sure where to start this thread but since its to do with holden ill start here, but if its wrong place admin can move it :)

So me and the old man want to start getting into the efi stuff fairly deeply, well mostly me cause the carby is slowly disappearing, a fair few of you mostly saw my intro in off topic

I'm not sure where to start with downloading programmes to help, and what tuning programs or software to get.
I have got the free version of tuner pro (dont even no if it works), but have no idea on how to load bin or xdf files on to it, or even save bin/xdf files to the computer.
will be playing with delco, (being holden),

We will be buying a new laptop soon (any recommendation), so we can load all this kind of stuff onto it, and be able to have it in the car,

The car we would most likely tune/hook onto first would be our hotrod, has a VR v6 auto without a BCM, has a different memcal in it so it'll run, but dad wouldn't mind getting abit more out of it,

than it'll probably be a 202 with efi, or a v8, but that;s awhile down the track, the hotrod can be first though

All hints, tips, suggestions and links with be greatly appreciated

Macca
why have one 202, when you can have 12 and counting, 30+ car graveyard just for fun aswell
Dylan
cars: VR Commodore V8

Re: Newbie, Where to start?

Post by Dylan »

Stick with Tuner Pro but get the RT version and being VR V6 auto you can use the new 11P code.
Get yourself a wide band and an NVRAM and USB ALDL comms. And a burner wont hurt either.
Now go through all the FAQs and user guides a shit load of times. And keep coming back with questions.
For how to load ADX XDF BINs etc plenty of Google and you tube stuff out their.

Good luck and don't give up it's daunting at first but just stick at it.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

As for laptop, i'd say try and find something which still has windows 7 on it (maybe you'll need to go second hand). Most tuning software runs best on XP or windows 7. I know some people use win 8 or 8.1 with tunerpro but for example the GQ-4X drivers are a pain to load. You'll be on the same page as more people if you have win 7.

I recommend getting something with reasonable screen resolution, so when you start wanting to have the list of paramaters down the left, and data in the bottom half of the screen and the tables your editing at the top you have a enough space to see what your doing.

Probably dont start with getting a new laptop if you find what you have now works, you can make that decision later on when you know what you need.

If you havnt found the FAQ look up in the top right hand corner for the link. Theres a lot of info to go over and digest there. Once you've skimmed over it, try again doing it for real. It sinks in better that way.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Macca97

Post by Macca97 »

We dont actually have a decent laptop at the moment, and dad wants to have one just for the workshop/shed, got a nice old desktop in the shed, but its pointless in this area ahaha, didnt notice the FAQ there before, thanks :)

we do have a USB OBD2 cord here, not sure if it will work or not

and im sure ill have loads of questions.
why have one 202, when you can have 12 and counting, 30+ car graveyard just for fun aswell
The1

Post by The1 »

I upgraded from a HP swivel screen tablet to a lenovo yoga2 pro, best laptop I've owned so far use as a laptop or touch screen tablet can use it at various angles not just full laptop or tablet, helps when it cars, had no issues with 8.1 windows and gq4x or tunerpro. Battery life is good 5hrs at least with full useage and power save in mixed mode, hardy enough its been tossed around the car and I use it every day at work without breaking it.
Dylan

Post by Dylan »

Im running a Toshiba L500 series similar to this http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Toshiba-Sate ... 2edc0e40d9

Does the job very well. I retired an old L300 but it done the same job just as well and is similar to this http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Toshiba-Sate ... 3f4482aecc

I use these purely for tuning, they run windows 7, tuner pro, flash tool, office 2010 and my burner software. Only get wifi turned on for updating software or drivers.
Macca97

Post by Macca97 »

well ive got a laptop aha, watch a few youtube videos, and just got the free version of tunerpro to have a look through, and well ive got a small idea, but still no idea, loaded some xdfs and bin files, had a few educated guesses to see if they would come up and a few did, just need to get some more basic knowledge before I go and buy the rt version,
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

RT version is a free download, just a 10 second nag when you start it. Can register it later if you want to support he developer. The programs have IDs, you must the right xdf and adx and bin file to get sensible results. If you havnt read the guides in the FAQ area yet, start there. Its a steep initial learning curve, but you'll get there. The FAQ button is near the top right of the screen. The Q&A contains a lot of info, but is not sorted, I just keep adding useful things to the bottom as they come up in the forums. Skimming over that should answer a lot of questions you dont even know you have yet :)
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
v8slrtorana
cars: HX Holden 5ltr EFI
HX Holden 5ltr carby

Post by v8slrtorana »

Im also a newbie.
I've got most of the above, minus the NVRAM board & wideband. (I'm actually using a old Kalmaker with RS323)
I brought a old laptop just for tuning, however i find Windows 10 to much much more stable for running the GQ USB burner app.
With win7, it would often crash on start up & have lots of connection problems with the burner.
Lots to get your head around, ive been reading for months & months now. Well worth the effort.
Dylan

Post by Dylan »

If you've got kalmaker RT board re burn with 12P and you can use that one.