VZ engine swaps

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
VX L67 Getrag

Re: VZ engine swaps

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

The only thing I've been told is different between old & new engines is the drivers for cam VCT solenoids so if you change them with engine change you should be right.... fingers crossed!
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

there should be no error in the computer that can't be cleared with most any scantool (ie. elm327 even has free software that does that stuff i believe)

i have assisted my mates workshop with more than one alloytec timing set, clearing the codes and such.

the other thing to note, alloytecs have auto start, you can tap the key and it will crank automatically after you let it off and start the car .... it also has a limit to what it will do ... ie. when i ran out of fuel i had to crank it over a few times before it got fuel up and started, during that time i had to key off for a bit each time and then try again before it would crank again.

i am not sure if it has any smarts in it though to know if the timing sensors are so far out of whack that it stops cranking ... but knowing what i do about the rest of the ecm i wouldn't be surprised!
utevanwgn
cars: hq ute
hz wgn

Post by utevanwgn »

Its only a base model 175kw so I don't think it has vct.
If it does please let me know.
Cheers Nath
vs ss
cars: hsv enhanced vs ss
vt xu6
fb holden
toyota landcruiser
vt ss s1

Post by vs ss »

Hi it will have inlet cam vct only on the 175 and all four cams on the 190kw.
VX L67 Getrag

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

Yeah as above with the 175 Vs 190 Kw engines^^^

But yeah it has had me stumped with the supposed dead ECU's with engines that fail as I've never had that issue hence why I mentioned about all 3 failures at once! sounds weird! Have rebuilt a couple of cam chain sets without anything else & not running with other initial failure warnings!
utevanwgn
hz wgn

Post by utevanwgn »

Hi.
The 2007 engine has before and after cat oxygen sensors, is it also likely to have a different vct solenoids as mentioned?
Also is or will using the wagon bcm in the sedan cause a problem.
Sorry for all the questions but I will have some answers for everyone in a day or so when I swap the motors .
Cheers Nath
VX L67 Getrag

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

As I've already said personally I would just use the exhaust, cam solenoids & anything else external that is different off your old engine & then use it's ECM too!

But if the BCM is the same series (low, mid or high) then it should work ok, but you would be best off making sure you get the security card for all the electrical parts you use out of that or make sure you write the donor VIN on all the elec parts changed so you & people know there not original if security codes are ever needed!
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

be careful swapping cam sensors etc .... I've seen it done and didn't work, on further investigation the difference in sensors also meant the chopper wheels on the cam shafts had different slots in them!

if possible use the spare motor and loom and use the original ecm and bcm from the car its going into and hopefully that should be all you need to do.
utevanwgn
hz wgn

Post by utevanwgn »

Hi all .
the motor is In and running.
Used the trans control and bcm from the donor , had all the bells and whistles but would not crank.
Had me checking stuff for about an hour and so I had a cider and a light bulb moment.
WHAT ABOUT THE PIM.
Swapped the pim and bang away she went smooth as.
thanks for all the help .
Cheers Nathan
Madmatt2006
cars: VZ SVZ Commodore
VH Commodore
JZZ30 Soarer GTT

Post by Madmatt2006 »

Holden202T wrote:be careful swapping cam sensors etc .... I've seen it done and didn't work, on future investigation the difference in sensors also meant the chopper wheels on the cam shafts had different slots in them!

if possible use the spare motor and loom and use the original ecm and bcm from the car its going into and hopefully that should be all you need to do.
Hi All I'm new here :thumbup: I know this is an old thread, but I stumbled across it trying to work out a problem with a VZ commodore I brought. In this thread they mention that the cam position sensors are different between some VZ motors. When I got the car it had a motor swap and was not running it's an 07 model 190kw I think the reason it's not running is because they fitted and earlier motor with the wrong cam sensors, that don't match the 07 ecu. When you go to start the car it pops and crackles but no start, also no errors with scan tool.

Do you think this might be why the car will not start?

I already tried linking up new ECU and BCM and PIM got them all working same result pops and crackles but no start :wall: