vn 5.0 harrop dual plane map

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
wagond
cars: vn 5.0 5spd wagon
56 Bedford bus,hot as hell 202 powered!
pajero sh**ter!

vn 5.0 harrop dual plane map

Post by wagond »

gday all,ive finally got my vn 304 running after putting a harrop dual plane and edelbrock 3879 throttle body on it.has flat top pistons,10.4 compression,268 kelford cam and ls1 injectors.looking to get a base tune or something I can start from to get it mobile.i have the delco hacking nvram and looking forward to actually firing it all up and getting some practical experience on tunerpro!
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Re: vn 5.0 harrop dual plane map

Post by antus »

Thats some pretty serious changes. If its running, that may be as good base tune as you can get. You are going to need a wideband. I would recommend you start on something with fewer changes from stock, but I guess thats not what you have. You'll need to work through and make changes in the tune as best you can for the changes you have made to the engine... eg start with injectors (flow rate, cranking fuel tables, voltage offsets). The fuel map and MBT timing is going to be quite different from stock with a cam, compression changes, and aftermarket TB. To get it running well you'll likely need to put it on a dyno.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

What tune are you currently running?

Delco might have a 12p tune that is fairly good starting point.

That's a fair amount of compression for a small cam, will need to be careful with the timing.
wagond
pajero sh**ter!

Post by wagond »

immortality wrote:What tune are you currently running?

Delco might have a 12p tune that is fairly good starting point.

That's a fair amount of compression for a small cam, will need to be careful with the timing.

uhh,its one delcowizzid did for me,its to suit the same injectors and cam with factory manifold and 70mm tb.ran well then.it does run now,badly!i wont be driving it in its current state.but I can limp around the workshop.also seems to have a bit of a miss.could this be a result of the a/f ratios being miles away?(as im sure they are!smells very rich)diagnostic has no errors.but the engine warning light comes on at revs above idle(2000 or so)then goes away.all to be expected with an unmatched tune?this isn't the last of the dumb questions as im pretty green with these computer things!thanks for ya patience!(a holley would be easy!)
wagond
pajero sh**ter!

Post by wagond »

antus wrote:Thats some pretty serious changes. If its running, that may be as good base tune as you can get. You are going to need a wideband. I would recommend you start on something with fewer changes from stock, but I guess thats not what you have. You'll need to work through and make changes in the tune as best you can for the changes you have made to the engine... eg start with injectors (flow rate, cranking fuel tables, voltage offsets). The fuel map and MBT timing is going to be quite different from stock with a cam, compression changes, and aftermarket TB. To get it running well you'll likely need to put it on a dyno.

yea its a big bite!Peter Starr is going to have a look next time hes here.comes over every month or two to do tuning at a small shop down the road.just missed him last time due to a leaky sump!just want to get it moving well enough for a wof(nz compliance..) so he can road test with their diagnostic gear.can you recommend a part number or type of wideband I could get also?
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

you'll more than likely have the miss from a fouled plug ...... and the engine light coming on is probably the oxygen sensor setting a rich error code .... seen both plenty of times with cammed up 304's when you first get them running!
ejukated

Post by ejukated »

Peter Starr, from WA?
wagond
pajero sh**ter!

Post by wagond »

ejukated wrote:Peter Starr, from WA?
yep,the Starr performance Peter Starr.
wagond
pajero sh**ter!

Post by wagond »

Holden202T wrote:you'll more than likely have the miss from a fouled plug ...... and the engine light coming on is probably the oxygen sensor setting a rich error code .... seen both plenty of times with cammed up 304's when you first get them running!

not running an o2 sensor.map sensor is probly freaking out though from the different pressures from more airflow capacity?mabe...will check plugs again.have had bout 10 mins running though from new!second set too.rotor cap and coil are new.leads are a year old or so.ill replace them on payday!
Dylan
cars: VR Commodore V8

Post by Dylan »

Get a Spartan 2 wide band from 14point7.com