VP Thermo Fan Temps

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
SpecialFX
cars: FX Holden

VP Thermo Fan Temps

Post by SpecialFX »

Hi Guys,

I have an FX Holden which I have put a VP V8 into and due to space constraints I can only run front mounted thermo fans, what I have been trying to find for some time is info as to whether the fan turn on temps for the VP V6 an V8 are the same, I have the factory EFI manual for the V8 and it only states a turn on temp of 107 degrees and off at 101 degrees.

I picked up a brand new ATJN 9297 Memcal and knock sensor and loom some time back and these are now fitted and working but I don't think the calibration would be any different for fan temps right?

I just need to know if I have to look at getting the fan temp calibration modified to suit only running thermo fans?

I have been playing with WinALDL and got this working, that's about as adventurous as I have got so far 8-)

Cheers
Rohan
Dylan
cars: VR Commodore V8

Re: VP Thermo Fan Temps

Post by Dylan »

The factory V8 temps are too high. I usually run them at around on 96 off 91.
SpecialFX

Post by SpecialFX »

Thanks for the quick reply Dylan, those temps match the thermostat quite well, would you know if the V6 used these temps for fan control out of interest?

Looks like I need to explore some of the other threads to figure how to modify these settings, at least with WinALDL I can now see what the PCM is reading for engine temp and these are about 7-8 degrees lower than the Dakota Digital gauge I have fitted

Cheers
Rohan
Dylan
cars: VR Commodore V8

Post by Dylan »

Not sure off top of my head, the V8 uses the factory temps to turn the AC fan on as an emergency set up. The VT V8 was the first factory set up with thermo's.
Dazza92VP
cars: 92 VP V8 Wagon

Post by Dazza92VP »

Standard on and off for the v6 were 101 and off at 96 if I recall. Where have you got the sensor for the Dakota gauge mounted or are you using the factory sensor with the gauge ?
SpecialFX

Post by SpecialFX »

I used all the Holden sensors with the Dakota dash, long story short I have the complete VP loom in the car so was quite easy to pull apart the dash wiring for the Commodore and wire up the controller for the Dakota Digital dash.

I have a first gen version of the Dakota Digital dash which didn't come with all the sensors like he current ones do.
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Post by VL400 »

Are you piggy backing the ECU sensors or has the dash got its own sensor? The one that was used for the factory dash? You cant piggy back the ECU sensors. If its the original dash sensor does its resistance vs temp match what the Dakota dash needs?
SpecialFX

Post by SpecialFX »

Not touching the ECM temp sensor, I have used the feed for the VP dash.

Watching the output from WinALDL the biggest variance I get is about 9 degrees, dash showing 100 degrees and ECM 91.

If the sensor wasn't in such a bitch of a spot I would look at getting a Dakota sensor, all I am trying to solve for now is getting the fans to turn on at the right temp and controlled wholly by the ECM if possible

Cheers
Rohan
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

you should try having to remove a snapped off sensor in that location! had to drill it out and that wasn't fun!
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Dazza92VP wrote:Standard on and off for the v6 were 101 and off at 96 if I recall. Where have you got the sensor for the Dakota gauge mounted or are you using the factory sensor with the gauge ?
100 and 95 from what i have seen.

all too hot anyway. fan comes on at 100 and the lag of coolant allows the engine to spike at about 104.

i set mine at 97 on and it goes off at 92, just above the stat temp. :thumbup:
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.