default values? s/c V6

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
Skullator
cars: HJ Holden with supercharged v6

default values? s/c V6

Post by Skullator »

hi can anyone tell me an approximate of the values for a std s/c v6 have tunerpro installed and the values are reading but not sure if they are right.
i have a slight hunting problem at idle 40 rpm up and down.
cheers
The1

Re: default values? s/c V6

Post by The1 »

not bad, IAC usually around 30 steps
Skullator

Post by Skullator »

I have a S/C V6 in a Holden HJ Ute, i have just fitted in tank fuel module to correct cavitation issues which i thought might have been causing surging.
The trouble i have is when Cold the idle is not stable, you can hear it go up and down it will get to the point where the engine stops.
when hot if you turn the a/c on the revs do not compensate,the engine just doesnt sound steady like my std v6 commodore does.
when i connect tunerpro to it i have no codes and everything appears fine, the l/h and r/h O2 sensors have different readings.
its like the IAC is not working correctly.what i am wondering is what default values would you expect on the readings given in tuner pro,
Would anyone have a screenshot of std s/c v6 readings.
once i know the settings are rightish then i can go down the path of checking various sensors etc.
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

This is a screen shot from a cold start VX L67 with CAI and 69mm TB but using the VS IAC cold start step tables.

It might be easier if you post a screen shot off your cold start for use to have a look at.

It sounds like you have an IAC issue. Remove and clean the TB including the IAC stepper motor and associated passages in the TB and then see what happens. The stepper motor is moving all the time, even when you are driving. 30 steps is about where you would expect it to be at idle once the engine is up to temp but no accessories on as these increase the number of steps due to increased engine load which the IAC will (or rather should) compensate for.
Skullator

Post by Skullator »

1iacvariation.JPG
screenshot engine running for about 15
immortality

Post by immortality »

The IAC is definitely moving, looks like it is causing the idle variation.

Those monitors are fairly cluttered, get rid of the trace data you don't need (right click the mouse when hovering the pointer over the monitor) and then bring up the data trace for desired idle rpm and idle rpm variation. Need to figure out why the IAC is been commanded to vary the steps?

What bin and ecu are you using?
edit: I see in another thread it's from a VX?

What things have you altered in the tune? Have you adjusted the thermofan settings by any chance?
Skullator

Post by Skullator »

i had Vats removed by a fellow from the gold coast
apart from that nothing has been altered as far as i know
will continue on tomorrow , try and get a oscilloscope reading from each coil lead in case there is a dodgy coil.
i ll redo monitors ,it seems like the iac is getting commanded to move but it cant move quick enough so the range of rpm gets bigger until it almost stops., bring the revs up and it all sounds good 8(
Jayme

Post by Jayme »

ive had loads of hunting issues on s/c v6... they are notorious for it. possibly worse if your bypass valve isnt working properly?
vs ss
cars: hsv enhanced vs ss
vt xu6
fb holden
toyota landcruiser
vt ss s1

Post by vs ss »

Make sure the vaccuum line under the throttle body hasn't come off.
immortality

Post by immortality »

Dodgy coil, spark plug or lead, could also be a fuel injector issue seeing as you mention you also seem to have a variation in O2 sensor readings. Could you possibly post a screen shot of your O2 sensors?

The engine sounding like a V8 would definitely suggest that you have an issue with a cylinder of some sort.

Does it use coolant at all? It's common for the V6 motors to have weeping intake gaskets as they get older. If it gets bad enough it could cause a miss fire, could also contaminate O2 sensor leading to false readings.