Non lock up converter idle issue

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
Dylan
cars: VR Commodore V8

Re: Non lock up converter idle issue

Post by Dylan »

Wire it straight to the ecu. Then it shows up in the logs along with all other data. Best way to have it.
Copy over current values into 11P and start logging.
Need any help copying current one over just post away.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

I agree, before you spend too much time on it, grab $11P zip from here http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=3798

copy over your main changes like idle rpm, ve and spark .... then wire in the wideband analog input from the lm2 into the ecm, its pin D8, theres also instructions in the $11P zip how to mod the ecm for the wideband input.

once you've got wideband readings in the logs you'll be able to easily adjust the fueling where needed.

as for weather you need more fuel or more spark in the lower rpms is going to be a matter of trial and error, but also if you change the open loop AFR table to be something like 14 that will stop it going into closed loop and blms adjusting the fueling then you can make the VE table match the target AFR's, then once its all right try changing the open loop AFR's back to 14.6 and see if it surges, if not then you'll probably be right with it that lean ....

and this is the hard part without a dyno, but once the fuel is right there try and advance the timing till you have the lowest map sensor reading and that is going to be close to what timing it will want in that area, and once the timing is done you might find you can change the open loop AFR's back to 14.7 and it will no longer surge ...
v8-tuning
cars: 304 commodore

Post by v8-tuning »

Thanks for all the info.
I tried the changes and so far so good no hunting at all with
closed loop re enabled.
Ill give 11p a go soon for sure.
Already copied most of it over so should have a good starting point.
Car drives really nice now but want to experiment with some more
timing and different afr's.
Might get a better o2 sensor is after market ntk so not sure how good it is either.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

what did you do, make it richer or increase the timing to stop it hunting ?
Dylan
cars: VR Commodore V8

Post by Dylan »

On my own car a 304 manual with a decent size cam I found decreasing the timing in the low rpm smoothed it out.
With afr still at 14.7 (verified with wideband) Each motor is different though.
v8-tuning
cars: 304 commodore

Post by v8-tuning »

Holden202T wrote:what did you do, make it richer or increase the timing to stop it hunting ?
I did both fixed the timing map and made it richer I think the timing made the biggest difference though.
Fueling just seemed to smooth it out a lil going a touch richer.
I can drive it no problem now ,cruise at low speed and pulling up to lights it behaves great.
Nice to have it right finally was doing my head in :comp: