Can anyone help out a newby with ECU logging/hacking?

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
pman92
cars: HZ One Tonner
VE Ute

Re: Can anyone help out a newby with ECU logging/hacking?

Post by pman92 »

Ah ok I thought flash based was VY/VZ.

There's always the option of converting back to an earlier PCM and NVRAM.
Or someone else may be able to help with rewriting a flash based
VR-VY Holden BCM Simulator: View Post
MrModule.com.au
0081(2)
cars: VY commodore supercharged V6

Post by 0081(2) »

The VX and VY NA V6 have flashed based PCMs and they can be flashed using the flash tool.
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Post by VL400 »

vx_commodore wrote:Just to confirm.
I have a ALDL cable, Tunerpro RT, And OSE Enhanced Flash Tool. Is this all that is required to start tuning/changing the ECU parameters of my VX Flash PCM? Like VATS, Kickdown, fan temp, Stuff like that.?

I have already used OSE to save a copy of my car's Stock ECU BIN, EEPROM and RAM files. I assume it's always a good idea to have these saved before you start messing.
To ensure you have a fallback grab a spare PCM off ebay and clone yours to it, they are very cheap and cloning keeps all the VIN and security happy (VX or VY PCM does not matter either). If you brick it plug the original back in and your away. Some steps to follow here .. http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic. ... t=40#p6472

The throttle cracker settings do what you are describing, it uses the IAC to add some air when decelerating. It helps with emissions but makes it feel like the car it is not slowing down on a closed throttle, normally its not as intrusive as yours though.

Read the bin/cal and check it out before changing any settings.
vx_commodore
cars: Vx commodore V6 Auto.

Post by vx_commodore »

VL400 wrote:
vx_commodore wrote:Just to confirm.
I have a ALDL cable, Tunerpro RT, And OSE Enhanced Flash Tool. Is this all that is required to start tuning/changing the ECU parameters of my VX Flash PCM? Like VATS, Kickdown, fan temp, Stuff like that.?

I have already used OSE to save a copy of my car's Stock ECU BIN, EEPROM and RAM files. I assume it's always a good idea to have these saved before you start messing.
To ensure you have a fallback grab a spare PCM off ebay and clone yours to it, they are very cheap and cloning keeps all the VIN and security happy (VX or VY PCM does not matter either). If you brick it plug the original back in and your away. Some steps to follow here .. http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic. ... t=40#p6472

The throttle cracker settings do what you are describing, it uses the IAC to add some air when decelerating. It helps with emissions but makes it feel like the car it is not slowing down on a closed throttle, normally its not as intrusive as yours though.

Read the bin/cal and check it out before changing any settings.

Ok, Ill grab a spare ECU and use that one to play with. That's a good idea, If i mess up, Atleast I still have a car to use.

So, May be a stupid question, As my mind is in overload trying to soak in all the info, But will any VX-VY v6 AUTO ECU work?
Or must i match numbers, plug colour's? Or does not matter?

Once i clone, I assume i can edit all the parameters on the cloned unit? Like change values to try get this engine brake bug out?

Thanks heaps for all you're help guy's, Much appreciated.
0081(2)
cars: VY commodore supercharged V6

Post by 0081(2) »

Any VX to VY v6 computer but it cant be one from the supercharged motor, must be a NA motor
My spare one for my manual VY is out of a auto VX and once i had cloned it everything was fine.
vx_commodore

Post by vx_commodore »

Ok no worries. Looking on Ebay now, But might ring my local wreckers for a price too.

When i read my stock .Bin file in TP, It sais

CRC Checksum A096
Software ID BD0A
Application ID 261
Program ID 16269020
Calibration ID 92104512
EEPROM ID 0000
Transmission ID 7FC1

That seem like i read the file right?

My car is a VX with a VY motor. And VY transmission, Also all VY sensors inside transmission.
vx_commodore

Post by vx_commodore »

Hey guys, well, I got my new second hand ecu/PCM to start playing with!

This is all new to me, So I need some help along the way.

Now, It was mentioned that I should clone my stock ecu to my new ecu, How would I go about doing this?

And once clone is done, How would I go about starting to change some features like:
Transmission pressures(I'd like to up the pressure slightly)
Change tcc lockup. Locks up too early.

And, What else would be recommended to wake up the old factory tuned ecotec v6....? I've heard there's lots that can be done, But not quiet sure where to start...

Only hardware mods I've done is a 2 1/2' exhaust(That I actually lost power on, not gained) So maby a slight tweak here may help?

I assume, save bin file from old PCM, install new pcm, open ose, wipe PCM, then somehow send old PCM data over to new PCM, Then save?.
Then open Tunerpro, get data from new PCM, change some features, Then open ose and send new changed bin from tunerpro over to PCM? < This is how I would assume it would work? Please be nice, I'm sure I've got it wrong.

Thanks guys
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Post by VL400 »

Where you download the flashtool from there is a link to cloning and tuning with flash PCMs .. http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=82
vx_commodore

Post by vx_commodore »

VL400 wrote:Where you download the flashtool from there is a link to cloning and tuning with flash PCMs .. http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=82
OK great thanks, I got the software free with the cable I purchased. It didn't come with any instructions unfortunately.

I'll have a read of that link when I get home tonight. On my mobile phone at the moment.

Is it possible for me to clone my old PCM to the new one, But keep all the stock tune on the new PCM as it is? Because I think someone may have changed a few things on my current PCM before I owned the car, So I'd like to compair a untouched tune against my current PCM tune if that makes sense
Jayme

Post by Jayme »

vx_commodore wrote: OK great thanks, I got the software free with the cable I purchased. It didn't come with any instructions unfortunately.

lol the software is written by VL400 and is free regardless... that is a bit of a dodgy claim by the seller if they are providing someone elses work un credited for sale.....