Can anyone help out a newby with ECU logging/hacking?

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
vx_commodore
cars: Vx commodore V6 Auto.

Can anyone help out a newby with ECU logging/hacking?

Post by vx_commodore »

Hello all, I just purchased a ALDL data cable for my stock VX V6 Auto.

I have many MANY questions, As i am really keen to learn all there is to learn.

So far im learning to use Tuner pro RT, Very nice so far, It's great to see all you're car's info.

But, If possible, Among many other things, I'd like to try change a few tune parameters, Like disable VATS so i can use any ECU.

Apparently this cable and software is able to do this, But i am totally at a loss as to how, I have really just learnt how to data-log.

Is there any info, To better explain how to change and save things in the ECU?

Also, I have noticed, Quad driver 1, And Quad driver 2 are showing 'Fault', Is this normal?

Thanks Guys!
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Re: Can anyone help out a newby with ECU logging/hacking?

Post by immortality »

pman92
cars: HZ One Tonner
VE Ute

Post by pman92 »

There's a few options

You can't just write to the ECU straight away.

The program, calibration everything etc is stored on the 'memcal' within the ECU.
It's removable so the factory could fit different cars/engines etc with the same ECU and just have different memcals.

The factory memory chip in the memcal is an EPROM - erasable programable read only memory.

Option 1: keep the factory EPROM. You will need a UV eraser tool and EPROM programmer. Remove the EPROM/memcal, read the BIN from it to your laptop or download the bin for you vehicle from here, make the changes you wish to the bin file, erase the EPROM, rewrite the EPROM with your modified bin, refit the EPROM/memcal to vehicle. You must do this whole procedure whenever you want to make a change.

Option 2: replace the EPROM chip with a EEPROM. Follow the same procedure, except you erase it electronically (no need for a UV eraser).

Option 3: replace the whole memcal with a NVRAM kit available here, and possibly solder 1 wire inside the ECU.
You can then change from the factory program to $11p and real time tune. Or keep the factory program but I don't think you can make changes real time then.

I'm new to this stuff aswell, so hopefully I got everything right.
VR-VY Holden BCM Simulator: View Post
MrModule.com.au
Dazza92VP
cars: 92 VP V8 Wagon

Post by Dazza92VP »

Vx v6 is a flash based ecu so no memcal unless it's a supercharged v6 or vt and earlier
vx_commodore

Post by vx_commodore »

Yes, Dazza is right, My VX has no removable chip. It's just a NA.

So. Is it not possible to change parameters?

Also, How can i upload a recorded file from TunerPro(XDL?) to here. There are a few thing's in the reading's that im not quiet sure is right. Would be good to get an opinion on possible running issues.

Here is one issue i'd like to try and change. It's a little hard to explain.
My car has always had an issue with 'engine brake', It's an AUTO, And when you downshift (say from 3rd to 2nd, Or 2nd to 1st at speed) The IAC valve opens and the car does not slow down....
It just keep's driving like im still on the accelerator. I had no idea as to why it was doing this, But after much looking, I finally noticed that the IAC would open up when i downshift. And would not start to close(and brake) for a good 10 seconds, So for this 10 second's, I'd downshift, And the car would just keep on driving(At a higher RPM due to lower gear)

It's not normal, The IAC should not open on downshift, and allow the car to continue on like its on cruise control.

Here is a video, As you can see, At 0:37 I get off the acceleator, And the IAC opens, And just keeps on driving. Will not slow down.

I have put a new IAC in, No difference so it must be in the tune.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fs0j1BH5X20[/youtube]
immortality

Post by immortality »

Check this thread for tuning flash based PCM's

Delco FlashTool

You will need to log the vehicle and see what it is doing to determine why it's not engine braking.
Charlescrown
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Post by Charlescrown »

I think they are drive by wire so I would disconnect the battery for 20 seconds and see what happens. Please ask others if any reset might be affected.
Dylan
cars: VR Commodore V8

Post by Dylan »

Nah cable throttle on these ones.
vx_commodore

Post by vx_commodore »

Yes, They have a cable.
Disconnect battery never solved the issue. ECU have been reset hundreds of times in the years that i have owned the car.
Problem stayed the same unfortunately, I can only assume it's something in the tune as everything has been replaced.

immortality wrote:Check this thread for tuning flash based PCM's

Delco FlashTool

You will need to log the vehicle and see what it is doing to determine why it's not engine braking.
Yeah, I have done some Logging, But im still a learner, Not 100% sure on what im looking at.
I see all the basics, But can't really see anything related to issues other than DTC's which there are none other than Low fan com falure set and quad diver's falure. Thats why i wanted to figgure out how to upload a recorded session from TP for someone more knowledgeable than me to have a look see. Maybe im missing something.

I have done lot's of reading/videos, But there is not too much directly related the old VX V6.

Just to confirm.
I have a ALDL cable, Tunerpro RT, And OSE Enhanced Flash Tool. Is this all that is required to start tuning/changing the ECU parameters of my VX Flash PCM? Like VATS, Kickdown, fan temp, Stuff like that.?

I have already used OSE to save a copy of my car's Stock ECU BIN, EEPROM and RAM files. I assume it's always a good idea to have these saved before you start messing.

The car is ex police, Undercover or unmarked i believe it was, Is there a chance the no engine brake may be some police preference?
Just odd that my VX is the only VX with this issue. And it seem's tune related, Not faulty part's as they have all been changed. Every mechanic i spoke to over the years had no idea as to why this is happening
immortality

Post by immortality »

Maybe the tune has been played with but most likely it wasn't the cops.

Down load a copy of a VX tune (have a look on your PCM for the tune code) and compare it to what you have using the tunerpro's difference tool. You'll quickly see if anything been changed.

Download this Memcal ID Tool with Data Version 1.07 it has most of the tune files.