Flex Fuel Sensor to Delco?

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
ralcool
cars: VK L67 T5
VQ V8 W55
Kawasaki 750turbo

Flex Fuel Sensor to Delco?

Post by ralcool »

So, in the interests of keeping up with alternative fuels, I know some of you run ethanol in yer rigs.

Specifically tuned for e85... bigger injectors, and different timing too.

Is it remotely possible to actually add a flex sensor to the delco... AND have it adjust to any concentration of ethanol.

Things that would be required presumably is, (in addition to larger injectors and probably pump upgrade)

A spare or re-purposed input.
An offset table of sorts for timing.
A flex / ethanol sensor installed to the fuel line (they're not exactly cheap, but available)

It would be one thing to add this to 11 or 12P... 808/424, but what of other ecus. VS/VT type especially.

FLEXability would be awesome... I plan to build a still to use up some spare spuds sitting around here. (About 4tonnes going to waste!)

Or is there a thread already....

cheers
Dylan
cars: VR Commodore V8

Re: Flex Fuel Sensor to Delco?

Post by Dylan »

There was talk once from VL400. From memory it's possible but would need to be programmed.
Possibly 12P might not have enough code room. But it's something I would love to see done and I'm sure many other's would as well.
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Post by VL400 »

Yeah, it was discussed but cant find the thread now. The short of it is unlikely on the '808 and 12P without losing something else due to 0 free RAM. The '424 and 11P has RAM but is limited by spare inputs (or a lack of).

The GM sensor uses a type of PWM signal, its a variable frequency to indicate ethanol content and variable pulse width for temperature.
VL400

Post by VL400 »

This could be made to work possibly .. http://www.zeitronix.com/Products/ECA/ECA.shtml
Dylan
cars: VR Commodore V8

Post by Dylan »

Thanks for reading VL400. How much room on 12P does map b use?
Just something I haven't used yet.
TdracerTd
cars: Td Gemini coupe (race car WIP)
Holden VE SS ute (tow car/daily)
Vp commodore V6 (race car, s/c, e85, intercooled)
Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland (mrs car, family bus)
My12 subaru STi (Weekend warrior/Toy)
1972 LJ torana GTR (my Dad's car)
Mitsubishi Evo IX

Post by TdracerTd »

VL400 wrote:This could be made to work possibly .. http://www.zeitronix.com/Products/ECA/ECA.shtml
They are using those on subarus with the factory ecu. I believe it piggybacks off one of the O2 sensor inputs and they use aftermarket software with flex tables.
VL400

Post by VL400 »

Dylan wrote:How much room on 12P does map b use?
Just something I haven't used yet.
Lots of room actually, but it all would need to stay. In theory you would have map a as petrol (0%) and map b as 100% ethanol, and then based on the ethanol content from the flex fuel sensor blend between the two - so a perfect world E85 would be 85% towards the map b values. How linear this would be in practice for various ethanol blends the tank ends up with I dont know.