Vr turbo

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
Neilo
cars: Holden,toyota

Vr turbo

Post by Neilo »

I have a 1993 3.8v6 series 2 buick (not ecotec) Iv fitted a turbo to it custom manifolds wastegate bov done steel headgaskets to lower compression and have a 2 bar map sensor.

the problem is it doesn't hit boost until around 3500,4000rpm thats with the 1 bar it doesn't run on the 2 bar just stalls im unsure if its got boost or exhaust leaks it should be alright with that though i don't have a boost gauge hooked up but a test from the carbon canister vac line to a boost gauge read 2pound. So im looking for ways around that booste curve or someone to help with a tune

Thanks
Dazza92VP
cars: 92 VP V8 Wagon

Re: Vr turbo

Post by Dazza92VP »

What a/r is the turbo if your looking for boost lower in the rpm band you may have to go a smaller exhaust housing. With the 1 bar 2 bar are you saying it only runs with the 1 bar map sensor fitted or when it hits the 2 bar map region it stalls out?
What has been done to the car so far in mods and tuning?
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

my guess is the tune is stock and plugging in a 2 bar map is the reason it wont run.....

you cant just plug stuff like that in without adjusting the tune to suit.

as Dazza said, need to know the turbo size to get an idea of where it should start making boost, also if its got an exhaust leak that wont be helping it build boost.

my brothers stock V6 with .82 rear housing started to make boost a little over 2200rpm I think, and was on full boost about 3200rpm ...... (I think)

also if you haven't already installed larger injectors your going to need to! my brothers car started running out of fuel about 4psi with stock injectors.
Dylan
cars: VR Commodore V8

Post by Dylan »

What code are you using? If 12P or 11P you need to flag it for 2 bar map sensor.
Neilo

Post by Neilo »

Iv got a t3/4 turbo on it and exhaust is 2 and half all through its pretty much stock except steel headgasets and alloy valve covers with breathers
Because I blocked the pcv valve. I'm planning on getting some 650cc injectors from ebay. Im sure it's going to need a tune to run the 2 bar I thought it would still run ok on the 1 bar because there suppose to handle up to 14 psi
Jayme

Post by Jayme »

noooo 1 bar means 1 bar from absolute zero. which means it can handle up to Atmospheric pressure and cannot handle boost at.all.. a 2 bar sensor means it can handle 2 bar from absolute zero and as atmospheric pressure is 1 bar, then it can handle 1 bar or 15psi boost.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

don't forget to block the breather from the throttle body to the back of the inlet manifold!
Neilo

Post by Neilo »

Ok so I cant run factory map sensor so short story is get it tuned for the 2 bar. Yeah mate cut the hose and put a bolt through it shes blocked
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

yeah so you can run it on 1 bar map and stock injectors to move the car around and such, but don't boost it up, and then to get it happening with boost you'll need 2 bar map sensor and suitable injectors, then tune to suit.
Dazza92VP
cars: 92 VP V8 Wagon

Post by Dazza92VP »

With the exhaust a/r it's the area ratio of the exhaust housing on the turbo not the exhaust pipe from dump pipe back th a/r will be stamped on the inside of the inlet the the exhaust housing. Have you got any gear for reading eeproms? there is a few tunes on here that would be a good start once you got your injectors and set the tune for those injectors