Striped down vx tune

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
pas94

Striped down vx tune

Post by pas94 »

Hi All,
I'm helping a friend out with an ecotec for a jetboat again :) this one is a vx ecotec it was an auto. I have an aldl cable off ebay. The loom is mostly finished. Just wondering what I need to disable etc in the tune:
The auto, VSS, fans, VATS, dash, checksum.... what have I forgotten?
Hopefully it'll talk to tunerpro with out the BCM there and with the eBay cable.
Thanks
Paul
Dylan
cars: VR Commodore V8

Re: Striped down vx tune

Post by Dylan »

I'd start by disabling whatever isn't present on the new set up compared to the road car.
pas94

Post by pas94 »

Yes, I kinda wanna get it right first time since my friend is living about 5000km away :)
Dylan

Post by Dylan »

Fair enough. Stock motor? Keeping the VX flash ecu?
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Vats is the main one. Also set the auto flag. Then it'll run... if you want to go further send the cable to the mate and get them to log and send them to you. Check the DTCs and mask the dtcs for the things that are missing. You do want to process the error codes, just not turn on the CEL.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
pas94

Post by pas94 »

And it begins... My aldl interface died, it was getting warm then it stopped coming up as a com port, opened it up and shes toast, the main chip has a big crack in it and smells burnt! checked my loom all looks fine so not sure what happened? :(

I just built a max232 on as per tech edges site. I didn't have a high speed diode thought just a regular 1n4001.
It gives and echo back when using a terminat program which would say that it's working?
But I can't get Tuner pro to work does the code need to be changed on the ecm to work something i read said this was the case seems like a chicken and egg problem I'm confused :comp:
pas94

Post by pas94 »

yeah the plan is to run stock motor with the stock ecu, they go so good out of the box :)
The more I read i'm not sure if this is even possible, can I program the stock vx ecm with the aldl cable if not do I have to add the nvram upgrade to it ?
What settings do I need in tuner pro? looks like I don't need the OSE plug in ?
Dylan

Post by Dylan »

One important thing is a quality interface. I've seen working one's fail when writing to the flash ECU's.
I've doneit a few times now. Not for the faint hearted the first time.

They do go well but there's more in them with a better tune.
Jayme

Post by Jayme »

You need the flash tool to read and write to Vx pcms using the aldl cable. Read the bin first, then open the bin in tunerpro, edit it and write back using flash tool.http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=82

Be careful your interface is 100% with no read errors as these pcms are easy to brick.
pas94

Post by pas94 »

Thanks, I've made 3 cables none of them seem to work though, I get an echo back when I try it in a terminal program I wounder If i've killed the aldl port when my ebay cable died? What can I send it in a terminal program to see if there's any signs of life ? It's on the bench so no bcm chatter etc
If I have killed the coms port can I desolder the flash IC and put it in my programmer and read and right it that way? The Pcm still looks to be alive I can probe the memory pins with the scope and see it talking to the flash.
Also if I power up the bcm can I talk to it without the pcm there to prove the coms cable?
Last edited by pas94 on Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.