lost in space

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
ladaok
cars: none

Re: lost in space

Post by ladaok »

Ok, so if I convert to high speed coms, that would mean I can do things in real time, which I suspect is the best way to go ??
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

Indeed it does, you would need to also get the NVram module.
ladaok

Post by ladaok »

wel I pulled the computercase apart and found the memcal

It'sa AWZB1958 ... which means it is out of a 5.0i V8 about 1990
There is a large white ic with the code IF0202. .. I guess this is the anti knock block
So i'm thinking this whole memcal thingy is useless ?
Or do you take out the anti knock board, add on that thing with the Dallas chip and some resistors to change to 4 cyl mode
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

If you intend to use the NVRAM module there is no need to modify the standard memcal in any way as the NVRAM module replaces the memcal in the ecu. The new module has jumper pin selection for the number of cylinders.

See http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=3612

You have an HSV memcal there, might be easier to try and sell it as there aren't many V8 memcal's with knock boards (HSV only).
Dylan
cars: VR Commodore V8

Post by Dylan »

Once you get a NVRAM you'll never look back. Get the USB comms for the ECU thats the best way. Just plug the USB lead straight to the ECU and the laptop and you're off. Along with your NVRAM.
Then all you need is a wideband and you're in business.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

I would hold onto the hsv memcal :)

you can also plug it into the side of the nvram and then use the knock filter part of it as normal!
ladaok

Post by ladaok »

oki doki, making some headway here ...

so when I look at the navram picture, it looks like you dont need the brown plastic memcal thingy

ok, so you need a laptop, with wires that go from there to a new gizzmo that fits in the computer case, that wires into a new plug ( and that is called a COMMS )

I guess you still use the same engine plugs into and out of the computer

I think my best bet is finding a new / used unit ready to go ?

Do you still use the GX40 tool
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

Ok so below is an 808 computer, its been fitted with a NVRAM board (early version so its green), you can also see there is a few wires added in and these connect to the comms board, this can be either a serial port or usb port depending on your needs.

you can also see its fitted with the stock memcal on the side of the nvram board, this is not required, but if you use it, it will allow the cylinder select settings to work and also the knock filter board if you wish.
808-realtime setup1.jpg
808-realtime setup1.jpg (188.68 KiB) Viewed 5071 times
This shows the port on the side of the case and the nvram inisde the case too.
808-realtime setup2.jpg
808-realtime setup2.jpg (166.15 KiB) Viewed 5071 times
its also a good idea for a backup to have the memcal in there, once you get a decent tune sorted out, you can burn it onto the memcal, and if the nvram was to fail for any reason, you could remove it, plug the memcal in and get home!

like I said, its not required but its handy, and if you want to use the knock filter you either have to use it through the stock memcal, or solder it onto your nvram board as per below.
808rtv2-knock.jpg
808rtv2-knock.jpg (74.91 KiB) Viewed 5071 times
ladaok

Post by ladaok »

Wicked 202T.

I was very close to throwing the whole deal in, and using a pair of V4 outboard carbs
But I really hung on, as the ignition tuning seemed to be, from experience the critical factor in the HP game
I'm, heaps more confident now... and also there is great backup and advise here I've checked out Megasquirt, and other systems, and this pcm hack is the best

* is it possible for a plonker like myself to put that navram and comms in, ?

* I better look for a laptop, what is the best / minimum operating system, ?
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

you shouldn't have any issues with the nvram install, its literally plug and play .... the comms board requires soldering, if your soldering skills are not up to scratch then you can send your ecm to the guys who sell the comms boards and they'll usually install it for you obviously at an extra cost.

as far as other systems like megasquirt and such, im sure they all work ok, but from what I've seen of a mate using one, you have to start from scratch with the tune, and the factory options in the delco are just hard to beat for the price :)

and more than likely you can get a tune from another model car (factory) and use that as a base to then tune from there to suit your own needs.