lost in space

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
ladaok
cars: none

lost in space

Post by ladaok »

Hello chaps, I'm back again with some more questions

I've scored an ' 8o8 ' it was out of a V8, I can convert it to run a 4 cyl as I got the resistor diagram from this site.
The engine i'm using is modified 1600 but all the stuff out of a VN should work ok
Please don't concern yourself with any of the manifolds or mechanicals, I won't bore you, or blow my trumpet !

So can you imagine, that I hook up wires to sensors, that go to the computor , and wires leave the computer to the injectors and coils ... start the engine and it actually runs ... yahoo .... but not very well, ( fuel load / timing )

Please tell me exactly step by step, how you can change the computer settings ( tables )

202T had a very good photo essay on the 202 mechanical conversion
Can there not be an electrical version ? There's heaps of us fella's that know very little about computers,
Something that shows what plug fits the '808 ' and goes to this plug on a laptop and this is how and where you get software to manipulate your 808 etc ... that's the biggest stumbling block for me
The1

Re: lost in space

Post by The1 »

the FAQ will have alot of what your after and getting started guides with the software, others may chime in with specifics after that.

http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
ladaok

Post by ladaok »

Thanks, ... i'll read thru it, it maybe what I want ?

I wonder if there is any body in NZ that can show how to do set up, from go to whoa ? .... I certainly don't mind travelling
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

There are a couple of us who sort of know what we are doing, it depends on where you are.

The best man for the job here in NZ would be Delcowizzid who is in greater Wellington area.
ladaok

Post by ladaok »

Ah well, fantastic !
i'm in the bay of plenty .... but I don't mind travelling .... seeing is believing, if you know what I mean ?

i'm certain it's one of those situations where I could spend a good part of my life trying to figure out / understand exactly where to start
This is a great site, but for a novice... it's a nightmare .... I read through the start up topics, good but not really what I wanted that's why I suggested a photo essay

I'd travel a 1000 miles for 1 hours tuition, .. once I have the basics figured out everything here would make sense

yes DELCO WIZARD makes it look easy as with many of the folks here, .. Trouble is, I was dragged up with slide rules and napierian logarithms
and I don't bother with cell phones or those pad thingies .... but i'm not a total basket case lol

where are you located IMMORTALITY ? ... perhaps you can suggest a contact or someone may pitch in ?
immortality

Post by immortality »

I'm in Auckland but probably not the best person. I Know my way around a standard system but engine conversions are a bit different.
ladaok

Post by ladaok »

oh, ok. do you know how to change memcals and burn them etc and how to set up a laptop to down load that thingy 12p ?
immortality

Post by immortality »

Yep, I know all that.

Ideally you really want to convert the 808 ecu to high speed coms to make tuning easier. You need a high speed coms module for that which the boys sell on this site, see http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=3613 . Once that is installed life becomes a bit easier as it's simply a case of plugging a USB cable into the new ecu USB coms port and the laptop and you are fairly much set ready to datalog once you install Tunerpro.

You can download Tunerpro off the net (freeware), it has it's own user forum so that is good. See http://www.tunerpro.net/

Download it and then have a play, see where things are etc. Then download tuning files you want to use from this site (12p?), unzip the file and load the .bin file (the actual tune) into tunerpro and also load the XDF (tune definition file, basically it turns all the numbers in the .bin file into something us mere mortals can understand).

Once you have done that, read some of the tuning help files on this forum as they will make much more sense when you can see what they are referring too.

To burn a standard memcal first you will need a UV eraser which can be bought from ebay see http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_from ... r&_sacat=0 ( I have one of these)

Then to write to the chip you will need a programmer, most of the people on this forum use the GQ-4X,see http://www.mcumall.com/comersus/store/c ... oduct=4282 which can be had from a few different suppliers.
Dylan
cars: VR Commodore V8

Post by Dylan »

Ive posted somewhere here a great supplier of bth the GQ4X and UV eraser. Darkwire they are called.
Well priced but based in western australia whick may not be ideal.

Get yourself a GQ4X. Most people on here use them so support will be better for you.
ladaok

Post by ladaok »

hey thanks fella's, i'll open up the ecm this arternoon,
I think the memcal has been changed modified ? the fella I procureed it from mentioned something about this , someone has written in blue marker pen .. V8 chip ?