VT instrument cluster config

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
pman92
cars: HZ One Tonner
VE Ute

VT instrument cluster config

Post by pman92 »

Hey guys,
Had a VT in at work today. Customer had put a new instrument cluster in it with trip computer or whatever. Tacho didn't work and SRS light was on.
The SRS DTC was something like '53 - configuration mismatch with cluster'. And the cluster had to be reconfigured to 3 loop SRS from the 4 loop SRS it was previously set on.

Looking at a wiring diagram I found the the SRS module talks to the BCM and cluster. Am I right in saying that the BCM part is only because the BCM is the bus master and will be constantly polling the SRS for its presence on the network? And the SRS only communicates with the cluster to say if the SRS light should be on or off?
If so why does the number of airbags/pretensioners need to be known by the cluster?
VR-VY Holden BCM Simulator: View Post
MrModule.com.au
vs ss
cars: hsv enhanced vs ss
vt xu6
fb holden
toyota landcruiser
vt ss s1

Re: VT instrument cluster config

Post by vs ss »

I can not help as to why the cluster needs to know ,but I say it is on the bus so that When the airbags deploy a message gets sent to the pcm to shut the engine down.
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

One of the reasons for SRS to BCM comms is to unlock the doors in the event of deployment, pretty sure the SRS cant shut the engine down.

Yoda might be able to add to this?
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...
vs ss
cars: hsv enhanced vs ss
vt xu6
fb holden
toyota landcruiser
vt ss s1

Post by vs ss »

It is in the code for the pcm to turn the fuel pump off.
Hopefully someone else can confirm.
yoda69
cars: 2004 VYII Acclaim Wagon V6 Auto LPG/Petrol
2004 VYII Berlina sedan V6 Auto
2005 VZ Monaro CV8 manual

Post by yoda69 »

Yes will shut the fuel pump down if airbags deployed and unlock doors.
Not sure the exact reason for the different cluster programming but know it does need to be done.
Think with telematics fitted vehicles it even calls the call centre automatically if airbags are deployed.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

The dash needs to know how many airbags are installed in the car, if theres a mismatch you'll get a dtc as it thinks a missing airbag has failed or it sounds like it detects the mismatch. The factory software can update if you can get it, or probably a tech2.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
pman92
cars: HZ One Tonner
VE Ute

Post by pman92 »

Thanks guys.
It's updated all good with aftermarket scan tool but just wondering why the cluster really cares.
I would of thought the SRS module would be the only one needing to know. I noticed it lists resistance and capacitance readings in the live data for all 4 circuits (drivers and pas air bag and pretensioners), and also lists them as enabled or disabled.
In this case they were all enabled except pass air bag.

Is it possible the cluster requests that resistance/capacitance data and then verifys it? Sort of a fail safe incase the SRS module doesn't detect it for whatever reason.
VR-VY Holden BCM Simulator: View Post
MrModule.com.au
jacomms
cars: Commodore's .....what else?? :-)

Post by jacomms »

So it is from VT - VY (not so sure about VE)
The Cluster needs to know what info to report on as it gets RX data from the SRS as well as any other module sending data to the cluster.
So you need to tell the cluster what you are using and it will ignore any null data as such.
Tech2 will allow you to set all dash data, enable police mods on the cluster trim speedo & tacho cal etc.
hope this helps

Justin