VX racecar - VN-VP ECU on Ecotec

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Re: VX racecar - VN-VP ECU on Ecotec

Post by immortality »

You need a VN style cam, lots of lift with small duration. Use high ratio rockers if need be to get the lift up, V6 engines love valve speed/lift. heads flow well above regular OEM lift specs.
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

I love this shit :thumbup:

Re read the rule on fuel reg... It says a standard type must be used, doesnt say it has to be from that motor... :D

I raced street stocks for years, prior to EFI... Envelope was always pushed pretty hard to remain having an edge, lots of guys just flat out cheated, ive got heaps of great stories about stuff ive seen done, but that would be thread jacking...
Last edited by Gareth on Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...
Jayme

Post by Jayme »

a friend of mine told me a little while back that his local club decided to allow regulator changes in this class at their track, as it is a similar effect to carby cars swapping jets, and carby cars are allowed to do that so keeping it fair, why shouldnt efi cars? :|
kahlakid
cars: VX Racecar
D40 Navara

Post by kahlakid »

that just makes it harder!
Although that kind of backs up my understanding.
this is that comp cam i was looking at, has a semi short duration but a nice high lift compared to others. oh and i like that 111 LSA, will sound good even if its a bucket on a sarcastic note :driving:

216°/216° at .050"
•Intake Lift .317" (.507" lift at 1.6:1 rocker ratio)
•Exhaust Lift .317" (.507" lift at 1.6:1 rocker ratio)
•111 LSA

Wiring this thing is still going to be a headache :hmm:
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

Six wires, not hard...

As for the cam, saw many guys turn up with engine that idled of the door handles, never went any good other than at the end of the straight. Remember, its not about who has the highest peak power number, but who has the broadest power range. My experience shows me that all speedway races are won on how well you get off the corner... Smaller cam is the way to go i recon.
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

That cam is going the wrong way from the tune you are forced to use.
kahlakid
D40 Navara

Post by kahlakid »

Biggvl;
Im always keen for stories! My old man also used to race a torana on meth back in the day and some of the stuff ive herd is crazy. restamping blocks etc
and also what do you mean by 6 wires?

Immortality;
so something like these?
http://www.camtechcams.com.au/hold_6cyl ... vs_vu.html
(the two top ones)
kahlakid
D40 Navara

Post by kahlakid »

Jayme wrote:a friend of mine told me a little while back that his local club decided to allow regulator changes in this class at their track, as it is a similar effect to carby cars swapping jets, and carby cars are allowed to do that so keeping it fair, why shouldnt efi cars? :|

I wish it was that way mate. would make my life way easier
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

As far as stories, heres a simple one i like - lightening of flywheels is a big no-no, the thickness of the flywheels had a minimum, not a minimum weight... So heat the ring gear and slip it off, radial drill the fuck out of the flywheel, reheat the gear and refit, no holes :D
Now they weigh them..

Not really a cheat, more of a mind game, i used to look around the pits to see if someone was watching and when someone was id act like i didnt see them, grab a little pink bottle (that had nothing in it) and make like i was trying to hide it and pretend to pour it in the fuel tank :lol: i got fuel checked alot...

The VN engine harness needs very few things to make it run, ignition power, battery power, earth, fuel pump output, thermo fan output and tach output (off the top of my head, has been a little while).
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

If you like cheating stories, google 'Smokey Yunik' he was the god father of rule bending