Help please

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
jbwyatt
cars: holden vr v8

Help please

Post by jbwyatt »

Hi I m new to holden and i have a vr v8 auto i m wondering what performance memcal can i use . i have 16176424 (service number) pcm 16205078 BLCC and a delco BLCC 5074 memcal.
the mods in the car are 4.11 diff
pacemaker extractors
k&n air filter (with bottom box cut open)
the auto is a turbo 700 or 400 shit kit 4 speed.
i m wondering whats the best memcal i can used to increase hp
i m thinking PERFORMANCE TUNE 192 KW FITS AUTO VR V8 5L
or
HSV 195 KW AUTO TYPE MEMCAL ,
for non hsv models as a performance upgrade (note this is for vt)
or
should i just stick to the vr v8 memcal
any help is greatly appreciated thanks
Attachments
IMG_0101.JPG
IMG_0081.JPG
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Re: Help please

Post by immortality »

I'd be wary of any cheap memcals on ebay claiming big gains. You won't take a standard 304 from 165kw to 192kw with just a tune + many of the ebay tuners are really just using standard HSV tunes.

Highly recommend you don't buy anything from the seller TRX100!
jbwyatt

Post by jbwyatt »

thanks for the fast reply
so what do you suggest ? i ordered an aldl cable
would i be able to flash my memcal with tunerpro but what bin file should i use ?
immortality

Post by immortality »

You need a burner and UV eraser to be able to modify the tune on the factory memcal.

The Aldl cable is good for logging and diagnostic work, if you want to do any tuning with it than you will need get an NVram module which will allow reading and writing via the cable using Tunerpro and the correct OSE plugin.

One of the HSV bins would be a good starting point.
Dylan
cars: VR Commodore V8

Post by Dylan »

Are you wanting to do one up yourself? Or buy one ready to go.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

I would recommend the VR tune from OSE11P. While you wont get big gains from it (or from any other options), you will get a tune with the best data definitions to use with tunerpro and few nice bonus features like message 6 fast logging. If you are interested in tuning later on you'll have a good base to look at which you can tune with an nvram or by reburning the chip again down the track.

If thats of no concern stick with the stock tune until you are prepared to modify the engine and get it tuned to suit. Buying cheap/random tunes from ebay has a high risk that they could more likely make your car run worse. Some people can supply chips that can deliver limited gains (check the reputation of your supplier with google at a minimum, and there are probably some of the better/best ones on these forums) but its important to remember that the factory chips are developed to a pretty decent standard in the first place.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
immortality

Post by immortality »

A HSV tune is good for ~20kw, he's got an exhaust, the only difference between a standard Holden 165 engine and HSV 185 engine is an exhaust and tune :)
jbwyatt

Post by jbwyatt »

thanks for the reply is not clear if i m able to plug cable backup stock memcal edit and upload modified bin with tunerpro?
also can somebody point me on right direction for a performance bin based on my mods with or without auto transm.
thanks
immortality

Post by immortality »

No, you can't modify the stock memcal with the cable and software.

If you want to do that you will need the NVram module, see http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=3612
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Also hardware and software guide under the frequently asked questions (FAQ) see link near the top right of the screen.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396