VT V8 Exhaust question

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
hoopstar
cars: 350 Chev HR Holden (carby)
VK Calais with (soon) VR EFI 304

Re: VT V8 Exhaust question

Post by hoopstar »

feistl wrote:Image
What size are the collectors?
feistl

Post by feistl »

It's the standard header, but cut to fit a 2.5" pipe. Normally it drops down to to 2.25" I think. I plan to do the entire system in 2.5" stainless steel mandral bends.
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

the 304 torana we did had factory headers with collectors cut off and the tubes made round instead of triangle like stock and new pressed steel collectors welded on to 2.5" full twins.fuel distribution was all over the shop with 4 cylinders a different colour to the other 4 balance pipe fixed fueling in one hit .BUT we fitted the balance pipe after we found the hot spots in the pipes after the collectors where the sound waves are coliding and fitted it there in the sweet spot.idle was noticably quieter and more torque evident.if it cant be done just wideband both sides of the engine and tune to get the leanest side rich enough and be happy :D
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
feistl

Post by feistl »

Excellent post mate, and love the sound of that Torana :thumbup:

How far past the collector did you add the balance pipe? And was it before or after the cars/o2 sensor?

How big was the balance pipe?

What do you think would happen if i put a balance pipe just after the collector? I sort of wanted to avoid tuning the motor (as its a stock standard HSV 195kw and spending $800+ on a tune seems wasteful)

Thanks heaps :)
feistl

Post by feistl »

EG could have a 1.5" pipe coming off the bottom of the collector and going under the sump to the other side?
TdracerTd
cars: Td Gemini coupe (race car WIP)
Holden VE SS ute (tow car/daily)
Vp commodore V6 (race car, s/c, e85, intercooled)
Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland (mrs car, family bus)
My12 subaru STi (Weekend warrior/Toy)
1972 LJ torana GTR (my Dad's car)
Mitsubishi Evo IX

Post by TdracerTd »

Pre 83 shouldn't need cats either. Can you not fit a balance pipe underneath the bell housing/gearbox? Looks like from the picture above you may be able to fit a small one.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

TdracerTd wrote:Pre 83 shouldn't need cats either. Can you not fit a balance pipe underneath the bell housing/gearbox? Looks like from the picture above you may be able to fit a small one.
generally for a conversion you need to meet the polution requirements of the new motor so it would more than likely need cats .... i certainly know when i put an ecotec into torana i had to put cat on it and meet noise requirements.
TdracerTd
cars: Td Gemini coupe (race car WIP)
Holden VE SS ute (tow car/daily)
Vp commodore V6 (race car, s/c, e85, intercooled)
Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland (mrs car, family bus)
My12 subaru STi (Weekend warrior/Toy)
1972 LJ torana GTR (my Dad's car)
Mitsubishi Evo IX

Post by TdracerTd »

Don't mean to be argumentative but I found this-

Emission requirements for passenger vehicles operating on petrol
Vehicles manufactured on or after 1 January 1972
Vehicles manufactured on or after 1 January 1972 must comply with Australian Design Rule (ADR) 26, including:

Vehicles must be fitted with an operational positive crankcase ventilation valve (PCV).
The exhaust system must not emit more than 4.5% carbon monoxide at engine idle speed.
Vehicles manufactured on or after 1 July 1976 to 1 January 1986
Vehicles manufactured on or after 1 July 1976 to 1 January 1986 must comply with either ADR 27A, 27B &27C, including:

A carbon canister must be fitted, operational and connected to the fuel tank and induction system.
The vehicle must also be fitted with sealed engine rocker cover(s), regardless of engine fitted, vented via the engine's induction system.
Vehicles must not emit more than 4.5% carbon monoxide and 250 parts per million of hydrocarbons at engine idle speed.
Per ADR 27A, vehicles must not emit more than 2.5% carbon monoxide and 250 parts per million of hydrocarbons at engine idle speed.
Vehicles manufactured on or after 1 January 1986
All vehicles manufactured on or after 1 January 1986 must comply with ADR 37, including:

This category of vehicle may only be fitted with an engine complying with ADR 37 or later ie an engine designed to operate only on unleaded fuel), which incorporates all associated emission control components.
Fitting an engine other than an original or optional engine requires approval from the Department of Planning, Transport and Infrastructure.
No alterations to the engine's camshaft, inlet manifold, carburettor/fuel injectors, engine control unit or the catalytic converter are permitted.
Airflow meters must not be disconnected.
Modified or aftermarket plenum chambers or throttle bodies are not permitted.
Extra or larger fuel injectors or variable fuel pressure regulators are not permitted.
If the vehicle was originally fitted with a catalytic converter by the manufacturer, the vehicle must continue to operate with one.

reference-

https://www.sa.gov.au/topics/transport- ... ifications
vs ss
cars: hsv enhanced vs ss
vt xu6
fb holden
toyota landcruiser
vt ss s1

Post by vs ss »

Over here the emissions etc must be what the engine came out with not the car.
The engine must be the same year or newer and noise level applys the same for all years.