how to go about turbo tuning froma N/A vt ecotec?

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
daggels
cars: Holden vt commodore.
MK triton
EK1 honda civic.

how to go about turbo tuning froma N/A vt ecotec?

Post by daggels »

i have transplanted a l36 ecotec from a vt commodore in a hilux, and she doesn't have enough grunt!
so im looking at adding a turbo. I've done all the actuall conversion myself and i want to give it a go at tuning for boost as well.
So i've come to the tuning gods!!! :-)
im currently running the stock ecu straight out of commy.
all stock engine. I'm only chasing 8 psi.
I'll be adding the S/C injectors from the same year model (i've heard they fit with very little work) along with a t04b
now comes the bits i dont quite get. i've heard from 1 post that i can just remove the maf, add a 1 bar map sensor and tweak a few maps.
Another has said that i can run the maf in-line (after the turbo) and just run the S/C memcal.
so i'm kinda confused, can anyone share some light on this?

CHeers!
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Re: how to go about turbo tuning froma N/A vt ecotec?

Post by immortality »

On low boost you could run the standard MAF, with the S/C tune and injectors and would be a good starting point.

If you wanted to go to a MAP based system you would need to use a 2 bar map sensor (1 bar map is only suitable for n/a applications) but you would also need to fit a different PCM as currently we don't have tunes to use MAP on an ecotec PCM however The1 is currently working on this so if you started with a MAF based system using your original PCM you could possibly change over to MAP in the near future.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Yes, the factory S/C tune can be used with the stock MAF, but will top out the tune before 8psi. What we have is code from forum member the1 called the1 enhanced. This code is modified to support more boost. As immortality said we dont currently have a map option, so I would recommend sticking with MAF and useing the1s enhanced. See the guides in the FAQ (link near top right of the screen) as a starting point, and the1's enhanced are here http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=2518

Whatever you do you will need to make sure the tune is set up for the right injectors, and the right MAF.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
krusty
cars: VY Calais guzzler, Toyota Corolla almost hybrid

Post by krusty »

Are you running electronic auto still? If so the 424 $11P is good or if it's manual an 808 is killer good.

Enhanced is the easiest from where you're at now probably but whatever you do, get rid of the idea of just 8psi lol!

That turbo needs 12psi plus to be worth it I'd say and l67 injectors and a good 255lph efi pump will be more than enough. I've done a couple like this in hi lux and they turned out to be really good times combos!
daggels
MK triton
EK1 honda civic.

Post by daggels »

I'd rather stay with a maf, but im planning on putting the turbo in the tray, so im not sure how viable the maf will be. Unless they work well under boost? Im sticking to 8psi purely for reliability and its a 4x4, im not after massive power. I dont want to rebuild or drop in a l67 as the engines already in and running. Plus extra dollars. Are l67 maf's any differant? I've seen they can run 10psi without a tune???
daggels
MK triton
EK1 honda civic.

Post by daggels »

(I mean puttibg the maf before the turbo in the tray may not be as viable) and if I mounted it down stream of the turbo would it be able to handle it?
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

The1 has written a lot of good information about maf types including pitfalls with non-genuine clone hardware. Read his guides and information. Yes the right maf and code can handle it.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

daggels wrote:I'd rather stay with a maf, but im planning on putting the turbo in the tray, so im not sure how viable the maf will be. Unless they work well under boost? Im sticking to 8psi purely for reliability and its a 4x4, im not after massive power. I dont want to rebuild or drop in a l67 as the engines already in and running. Plus extra dollars. Are l67 maf's any differant? I've seen they can run 10psi without a tune???
At 10psi on the L67 you have exceeded the standard MAF, yes they do run on a standard tune but it's not really ideal. Ecotec and L67 MAF's are the same.
krusty
cars: VY Calais guzzler, Toyota Corolla almost hybrid

Post by krusty »

8-10 psi on a turbo may well be totally different amounts of air flow to the L67 M90 charger. Like probably way way more

The boost figure thing can be very misleading and put you on a false track of planning possibly.

What turbo are you looking to use? Will you intercool it?
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

if its in the tray you probably don't need a cooler!