MAF location?

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
daggels
cars: Holden vt commodore.
MK triton
EK1 honda civic.

MAF location?

Post by daggels »

so i've been googleing this, and searching around on here, and cant seam to find a difinitve answer....
in a stock l36 the maf is normally around 700-800mm from the tb ( i think) would there be any effects to the throttle response/AFR/power figures etc etc etc if i was to run the maf about 500mm before a turbo and about 4 meters from the engine with an intercooler in there as well?
im not talking turbo lag, im talking fueling lag, or enriching problems, or anything else???
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Re: MAF location?

Post by immortality »

An A2A L67 with the MAF in the factory location is probably the best comparison and that isn't really the happiest combination. Generally (I believe) they either move the MAF to the cool side of the intercooler system or go MAP instead.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Yes i'd say cool side of the IC is a good bet. The fuelling will be accurate within the limits of the maf and the pcm OS and the temperature readings from the maf will be accurate for the air thats going in to the engine.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
The1

Post by The1 »

yes basicly the MAF controls the injector pulse, so measuring the air closest to what's going into the plenum before the valves is what you want ideally.
daggels
MK triton
EK1 honda civic.

Post by daggels »

Would moving the maf to roughly 500mm before the throttle body and adding a map sensor into the ecu, some where in the plenium (I read there is a spare input in your enhanced ecu flash u put together) would that work out?
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

the map input will only give you readings in the data stream of the map, it will not have any effect on the engines tune!

as for 500mm from the throttle, if thats the best you can do then i guess its the best you can do, provided its the last thing in the inlet pipe before it goes into the throttle body it should work ok.
cars: VY s L67
Haines Hunter - not a car but still a toy

Post by 0081 »

I run the LS6 MAF in the stock location with about 1.2m of piping on my L67 with out issue.
It did need some tuning to make it all work well.

If that helps
daggels
MK triton
EK1 honda civic.

Post by daggels »

0081 wrote:I run the LS6 MAF in the stock location with about 1.2m of piping on my L67 with out issue.
It did need some tuning to make it all work well.

If that helps

Is that on the boosted Side?
And the tuning, was that to get the maf to work or to get it happy seeing boost?
daggels
MK triton
EK1 honda civic.

Post by daggels »

Holden202T wrote:the map input will only give you readings in the data stream of the map, it will not have any effect on the engines tune!

as for 500mm from the throttle, if thats the best you can do then i guess its the best you can do, provided its the last thing in the inlet pipe before it goes into the throttle body it should work ok.
Closer shouldn't be much of an issue, I was just using the number as a ball park figure. Ie much better then 4 meters...
cars: VY s L67
Haines Hunter - not a car but still a toy

Post by 0081 »

daggels wrote: Is that on the boosted Side?
And the tuning, was that to get the maf to work or to get it happy seeing boost?

I run it slightly further away from the motor than the stock location on the l67.

The tuning was to get the idle right and a few other things like coming to a stop at the lights.