VT V6 into Gemini

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
Charlescrown
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Re: VT V6 into Gemini

Post by Charlescrown »

Sounds like we can name your home as the house of beasts. Quiet a lot of nice projects going on there. With the Sigma whats the steering like with the 351 in it? I would think power steering wouldn't be an option but a necessity.
ecomoo
cars: 81 Mitsubishi Sigma EFI 351
83 Gemini ute 3.8 v6 (under construction)
2013 Focus ST

Post by ecomoo »

LOL

it steers basically the same as the 4cyl, can still palm steer when parking
firebug
cars: Pathfinder Ti 550, L67 Gemini

Post by firebug »

ecomoo wrote:Cae Performance, only ones I could find and didn't I feel like making them. Certainly not a value for money product
Yeah same. I found the headers fitted perfectly with my setup. Clearances pretty good all around. The Y pipe (if you are going to use it) however needed shortening on one side to fit properly. No biggie but I was a little disappointed it was not entirely a straight bolt-in item for what they are worth.
"My favourite colour of the alphabet is 3!"
ecomoo
2013 Focus ST

Post by ecomoo »

firebug wrote:
ecomoo wrote:Cae Performance, only ones I could find and didn't I feel like making them. Certainly not a value for money product
Yeah same. I found the headers fitted perfectly with my setup. Clearances pretty good all around. The Y pipe (if you are going to use it) however needed shortening on one side to fit properly. No biggie but I was a little disappointed it was not entirely a straight bolt-in item for what they are worth.
What conversion kit did you use ?
firebug
cars: Pathfinder Ti 550, L67 Gemini

Post by firebug »

ecomoo wrote:What conversion kit did you use ?
I was told it was a CRS kit when I bought it but it clearly wasn't on closer inspection. It was a home made kit that we did some modifications to the engine mounts and ended up working a treat. Gearbox cross member was woeful though so I ditched half of it and made a new one. Very happy with it now...
"My favourite colour of the alphabet is 3!"
ecomoo
2013 Focus ST

Post by ecomoo »

Ah ok
im using this kit http://www.v6conversions.com.au/gemini.html so I hope the headers fit
Also considering a chassis kit, something like CRS have
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

when i was building my gemini for the 202 i needed to achieve a few things, 1. gearbox crossmember was in totally the wrong spot, 2. i wanted to strengthen the whole lot. so i home made chassis rails and incorporated the gearbox crossmember into it....

i actually cut into the floor to run the rails but you could easily do it without going to that length.
P1000748.jpg
P1000748.jpg (212.07 KiB) Viewed 3265 times
P1010635.jpg
P1010635.jpg (119.46 KiB) Viewed 3265 times
Charlescrown
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Post by Charlescrown »

That looks like a FB or EK front guard in the right side of the pic. Is this one I read about some time ago?
ecomoo
2013 Focus ST

Post by ecomoo »

Holden202T wrote:when i was building my gemini for the 202 i needed to achieve a few things, 1. gearbox crossmember was in totally the wrong spot, 2. i wanted to strengthen the whole lot. so i home made chassis rails and incorporated the gearbox crossmember into it....

i actually cut into the floor to run the rails but you could easily do it without going to that length.
P1000748.jpg
P1010635.jpg
LOL I did a 202 Gemini about 18 years ago, was a pretty easy conversion

But yeah that's the sort of thing im thinking of, have done a few Toranas that way though I don't want to cut into the floor of the gem if I don't have to

Do I see upper trailing arm mounts in the floor ?
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

As far as I have seen personally, yes. The stock arms of the BW diff goes well into the car. That way the arc radius will stay as intended for that suspension to work correctly and not angle the uni joint and mess with geometry.

Might be possible to shorten both lower and upper arms to keep the diff angle like stock but the radius will reduce on the axle travel. So I guess that messes with geometry but how much depends on how much the shortening needs to be. I haven't ever done something like this so I can't comment further.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.