What do I need for a complete tuning set?

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
MAGP
cars: VC V8 sedan, VS V6 wagon, VT V8 Landcruiser.

What do I need for a complete tuning set?

Post by MAGP »

Hi everyone, my 1st post so I'm just starting with this site, even though I have done a lot of reading while lurking the last few months.
Just so you know I have read the getting started guide.
I have a simple, or maybe not simple, question. What do I need for a complete tuning set.? I want to be able to do VL (Group A)-VN-VT, 4-6-8, N/A-and Boosted.
The reason I ask is there is a mass of info on this site but it is a bit confusing when trying to put it all together.
My background in tuning is GMH, I have tuned with Kalmaker and want to expand so I can tune with modern hardware (USB).
The Kalmaker site suggests I only need 6 ECM/PCM to suit the models mentioned above but from what I can see here I need more to do it using the hardware from PCMhacking.

Can I use 1 ECM (808) from VL (Group A) through to the VR V6 and V8, the Camira (don't laugh to much) and Astra/Pulsar?
Do I need 5 different PCMs for the VS range? or can I use 1 for V6 and V8 manual and auto?
I want to set up for being able to tune what I could tune with Kalmaker if I went down the path of expanding my Kalmaker kit.
All help is appreciated.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Re: What do I need for a complete tuning set?

Post by antus »

you will need an ecm nvram, pcm nvram, aldl interface, and an ecm comms. Then you'll need a chip burner to update the code on the nvrams to move between cars. Re-writing the nvram chips for different cars will put wear and tear on the nvrams chip pins (normal use on a single type of car wont), so you may choose to have a couple of ecm or pcm nvrams so that you dont need to re-burn them so often, or so that you have a spare on hand incase you bend/snap a pin while you are working.

As for pcms, I dont have a quick answer off the top of my head, but essentially you will only need one 808 with ecm comms, a '424 with the write wire link installed, and then regular stock pcms for everything maf (just replace the memcal with the pcm nvram with the appropriate OS on it).
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

If you're interested, I'll be releasing a 'start up kit' very soon. It will have everything you need to get started including PCM, burner, eraser, wide band, etc..
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...
MAGP

Post by MAGP »

Thanks Antus, I'll do some research on the PCMs for the various models.

I'm interested Biggvl what ECM/PCMs will be in the startup kits? and very soon is how far away?
I already have wideband (2 actually) so I won't need another. Can you be a little more specific as to what will be in the kits?
Last edited by MAGP on Wed May 11, 2016 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

Sure, kits will be based around PCM requirements, there are 808, 424 and VS ecotec onwards kits. Each kit will include NVRAM, burner, eraser, PCM, obd cable or USB comms (depending on PCM), and spartan wideband. Cost will be announced next week.
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

Biggvl wrote:Sure, kits will be based around PCM requirements, there are 808, 424 and VS ecotec onwards kits. Each kit will include NVRAM, burner, eraser, PCM, obd cable or USB comms (depending on PCM), and spartan wideband. Cost will be announced next week.

Nice. You going to stock complete kits or supply as required?
MAGP

Post by MAGP »

I'll keep an eye out for your announcement, cheers.
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

It will be a market test to begin, I have four different kits now, if there is demand then they will be stocked. :thumbup:
MAGP

Post by MAGP »

Here's a list of ECM/PCMs that I remember being part of the various models. Feel free to correct me or tell me of any more that you know of.
1227808 VN-VP V6 & V8 Auto & Manual
16183082 VR V6 & V8 Manual, VS Series 1 & 2 V8 Manual
16206305 VR V6 & V8 Manual, VS Series 2 V8 Manual
16176424 VR V6 & V8 Auto, VS V8 Auto
16195699 (Police) VR V6 & V8 Auto, VS V8 Auto
16208257 (Police) VS V6 Auto (from 5/95)
16199728 VS V6 Auto & Manual (+LPG)
16234531 VS Series 3 V8 and VT Series 1 V8
16210672 VS V6 Auto & Manual
16210480 VS V6 SC
16233396 VT V6 Auto & Manual N/A and SC, VX-VY V6 SC
09356445 VX & VY V6 N/A Flashrom

EDIT: Adjusted to take in advice from Antus' post.
EDIT 2: Adjusted again thanks to Antus.
Last edited by MAGP on Thu May 12, 2016 8:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

That list isnt exactly right though I dont have the exact numbers on hand. The VX and VY flash PCM did not do VX/VY supercharged which instead uses a prior generation memcal pcm.
The '424 was for VR auto, and 3082 was manual. VS v8 manual was still 3082. A 3082 is the same as an 808 with an SXR mod, and for the most part interchangeable, but I wont go in to the specific details of that now.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396