VP V8 code 44 and popping. And wouldn't start

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
Mr DOHC
cars: VP Maloo

VP V8 code 44 and popping. And wouldn't start

Post by Mr DOHC »

Long one here, stay with me please.

I asked my wife to drive the other day while i watched my Kalmaker gauge screen while going for a 20km drive. I noticed the temp never got over 71 degrees. I looked at the maps and that still in the cold start region.
i did some research and the coolant temp sender on a 304 (PN TCS040 BTW) is common to die. Bought one and installed it, checked the Kalmaker screen and it hit 86-88, cool, drove it to work for the first time today.
As i got off the highway i saw the check engine light come on, i pooped myself. As i came to a stop it went out, hmm. I then drove down the road (decline) and i saw it come on again. Parked it and went to work.
Did some googling at work, got a list of ALDL codes and pulled code 44 from it, which states that the car was lean for 20 seconds (remember it happened when deceleration).
I left work early for a job interview, got there and realised i had 20 mins to wait and that i had parked in direct sun, tried to start the car and it just clicked, tried heaps of times and check neutral and park, no luck. Went in for the interview and it started afterwards.
On my drive home i could get the engine light to come on at will, all I had to do was decelerate down the hill with 0% throttle and after a bit it would do it. I could also avoid it by giving the car load and it would go away.
To me this says that my O2 sensor is bung from being constantly fed too much fuel by the incorrectly reading temp sender.
What do you think?

BTW, i pretty much have a VP 5000i map in the car with small changes to suit a 355
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Re: VP V8 code 44 and popping. And wouldn't start

Post by antus »

could be that the blms have trimmed fuel for the same reason. might need to disconnect battery for a few mins to reset those. capture some logs with tunerpro and post them up. if its sp3 theres an adx on this site for it.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Dylan
cars: VR Commodore V8

Post by Dylan »

Isn't code 44 disabled in factory bin's?
Mr DOHC

Post by Mr DOHC »

Dylan wrote:Isn't code 44 disabled in factory bin's?
Seems like its not
antus wrote:could be that the blms have trimmed fuel for the same reason. might need to disconnect battery for a few mins to reset those. capture some logs with tunerpro and post them up. if its sp3 theres an adx on this site for it.
I run Kalmaker sorry.

I will disconnect the battery tonight and see what happens
Dylan

Post by Dylan »

Check over some other stock ones like axbx and see
Dylan

Post by Dylan »

With Kalmaker you can still log it with tuner pro with that adx.
Also can post the bin and we can read it with tuner pro too.
Mr DOHC

Post by Mr DOHC »

Took the car for a drive last night and noticed on the Kalmaker screen that the O2 sensor signal gets down to 30mv. This is when the light comes on.
Does anyone know if this is too low?
Dylan

Post by Dylan »

That is very lean but if it's in decel mode then it would be expected.
Dylan

Post by Dylan »

Did you get any further with this?