VZ V6 Alloytec (LE0) Safety Mode with no codes

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
Gareth

Re: VZ V6 Alloytec (LE0) Safety Mode with no codes

Post by Gareth »

wow :wtf: sounds like a cluster fuck there...

Throttle body or TPS issue?, try looking at the signal with a scope, if not then I think you're on the right track with swapping out the PCM.
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...
Tazzi
cars: VE SS Ute

Post by Tazzi »

Biggvl wrote:wow :wtf: sounds like a cluster fuck there...

Throttle body or TPS issue?, try looking at the signal with a scope, if not then I think you're on the right track with swapping out the PCM.
Live TPS data is fine.

Checked connections at throttle body, all clipped in and no dramas there.

Havent pulled out a scope yet but might be the next thing to do.

Cluster fuck doesnt quite describe it!
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726
yoda69
cars: 2004 VYII Acclaim Wagon V6 Auto LPG/Petrol
2004 VYII Berlina sedan V6 Auto
2005 VZ Monaro CV8 manual

Post by yoda69 »

My wife's VE was showing ESP problems intermittently at times.
No DTC's but after lots of reading decided to replace throttlebody, problem has not occurred since and has been about 12 months. Have heard of safety /low performance caused by same problem.
Tazzi

Post by Tazzi »

yoda69 wrote:My wife's VE was showing ESP problems intermittently at times.
No DTC's but after lots of reading decided to replace throttlebody, problem has not occurred since and has been about 12 months. Have heard of safety /low performance caused by same problem.
Damn, right... to the wreckers it is...
J21
cars: 2005 VZ Utility
2005 Nissan T30 Xtrail

Post by J21 »

Tazzi wrote:
yoda69 wrote:My wife's VE was showing ESP problems intermittently at times.
Damn, right... to the wreckers it is...
Done, lined up to pick one up after work today. They're happy for me to borrow one and swing some money if it fixes the issue, if not will return and sell them the ute haha. Thanks for sharing that yoda69, I hadn't actually considered replacing the throttle body as it was seemingly fine according to scans. That said, scans said the same of the APP (accelerator pedal position) sensor but I pulled that off to have a look (after reading the Holden manual) and the board was blackened where the wire contacts met! Noticed a couple of the wires were not making contact at all which led to replacing the whole pedal assembly to see if it would fix it, no luck though.
Tazzi wrote:The wiring had been investigated by a (apparently professional) auto sparky which had left it in an absolute wreck with exposed wires touching everywhere. Prior to the sparky doing his thing, the car did not go into limp mode but had things like ABS/SRS ect warnings going off. The sparky came in to disconnect the speakers/amps ect and also probed various places in the car to check connectivity, and managed to get rid of the ABS/SRS warnings on screen.

Multiple fuses were blown while the sparky did his thing (J21 said), and the radio fuse keeps blowing so somethings still not happy there. Sparkys fix was to chuck in a bigger fuse... zero fucks given.
That's right, serves me right for using Gumtree and trying to save money. Asked a few times if the battery needed d/cing but was assured it was fine. It was the radio fuse that blew every time and he kept swapping other fuses from the fusebox in there until it didn't, then replaced the rest. Didn't have a 7.5A for the radio so kept a 10A in. The aftermarket Sony headunit itself has a 10A fuse at the back as well just fyi if that makes a difference? The previous owner had massacred the factory plug so this sparky ended up splicing wiring straight from the loom into the aftermarket adaptor harness for the Sony headunit so I don't know if even that is done right...so much mess... In hindsight, I should have hunted down a complete dash loom replacement from the start. I'm worried testing Tazzi's modules might result in them getting fried!

Considering how much more money I'll throw at this haha telling myself it's just an ugly first project car/educational experience that I should probably cut losses on soon :(

A huge thank you to Tazzi for all your help with probably the worst VZ you've ever seen lol
Tazzi

Post by Tazzi »

J21 wrote:Done, lined up to pick one up after work today. They're happy for me to borrow one and swing some money if it fixes the issue, if not will return and sell them the ute haha. Thanks for sharing that yoda69, I hadn't actually considered replacing the throttle body as it was seemingly fine according to scans. That said, scans said the same of the APP (accelerator pedal position) sensor but I pulled that off to have a look (after reading the Holden manual) and the board was blackened where the wire contacts met! Noticed a couple of the wires were not making contact at all which led to replacing the whole pedal assembly to see if it would fix it, no luck though.
Fantastic, one less thing that could possibly be causing the problem.
J21 wrote:I'm worried testing Tazzi's modules might result in them getting fried!
Got this set cheap, not a problem even if it did :thumbup:
Tazzi

Post by Tazzi »

Pedal replaced... no change.

Throttle Body replaced.... no change.

ECU, PIM and BCM + key replaced... no change.

Theres some sort of wiring related issue, we think it is a sensor which cannot be read from a scantool and is not a predefined fault in the ECU.

According to the Factory docos, all faults that can set the low performance safety mode should output a fault code, but looks like we have found the one condition that doesnt. :thumbdown:
vn5000
cars: vn v8 commodore

Post by vn5000 »

Is it an auto , if so have you checked the transmission module for codes .
Tazzi

Post by Tazzi »

vn5000 wrote:Is it an auto , if so have you checked the transmission module for codes .
Yep, checked, zero codes. Went through every module.

Safety mode only disappears when sending a clear command to the ECM.
Sending clear command at TCM has no affect.

Have scanned for faults using my own tools and also Tech2. Absolutely nothing.
vn5000
cars: vn v8 commodore

Post by vn5000 »

From my experiences with mafless tuning and electric throttles the car enters safety mode when the calculated airflow exceeds the predicted airflow
Maybe the maf is cactus , giving readings that are not far enough out to throw a code but high enough to exceed predicted airflow